FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Raise or check
Check 7 63.64%
Raise 200 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Have aliens visited earth?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real question is, what does being visited "look like"? And has -that- happened?

Besides, we already know things traveling faster than the speed of light, it's just not very well known yet and we have no way of using it (atleast consciously) at this time... I don't remember the details very well, but physisists have known for quite some time that a part of the atom(electron? or whatever I don't remember) is impossible to say exactly where it is, you can only say there's a chance it is at a certain place at a certain time. The thing is, this doesn't have to be anywhere near the atom's "centre" at all. There's a chance that it is on the other side of the universe in a split second while it was "here" right before, thus it "travels" extremely fast. So if you could find a way to manipulate this, you could effectively communicate with someone on the other side of the universe, more or less instantly.

Forgive me for not knowing all the details on this nor all the english words for it, but my brother majored or whatever it's called in physics and has explained this a couple times to me, and I've read a couple articles and parts of a book on the subject, although the articles were in swedish so I'm not sure about all the words.

I don't claim to understand much of this but it seems that the conclusion about using it as a way of communication is something we are working on right now, and maybe in x years we can use it for more than just communication, but also for traveling using the same technique, who knows? And who's to say "aliens" haven't been using this for thousands of (earthly) years?

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

This is the quantum eraser experiement it explains some of the ideas if anyone is intersted:

http://www.bottomlayer.com/bottom/ki...scully-web.htm

blake
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 AM

The thing about humanity is we seem to think that we are the biggest and best most intelligent being to hit the universe, we can barely get off the planet and back without dying and yet with utmost certainity people say there is/isnt life out there or that it wouldnt be clever enough to hide itself from us if it was here.

Its not that long ago that most of the scientists of the day thought the earth was flat and we would fall off the end of it, I realise science and understanding has moved on but who knows in the many millions of years before the first caveman came along what life and civilisation has developed on other planets round the universe and how far advanced than us they could be.

I think a lot of ancient civilizations have stories and pictures of vistors in strange headgear, could that be alien visitors, is it people form the future travelling through time, are other dimensions possible, who knows.

I guess in our lifetime the chances are we will not know, I think its interesting that most cultures worshipped gods from primitive times through to now, even our more modern beleifs of God point to either another dimension (ie where heaven or hell is) or higher beings with great powers out there.

Imagine if earth was just some reality tv show for some higher species in the way we keep ant farms or watch big brother. Those that belive god watches over us in effect are saying it is.

I think most people can see that there have been ufo's spotted in recent times, the ones over Belgiuim where jets were scrambled for example, whether any of these are visitors is another matter entirely.

If life was found elsewhere then that to a point could well make all our religions redundant, if intelligent life was found even more so, would the government or say a large organization with scientists working for it like the Vatican ever tell us if they did find it anyway? or would they protect their own beliefs and church. What effect would it have on the economy or world order if it was true and known.

I did read or see somthing one time that suggested films like Close Encounters were preparing us for revelations of other life visiting us (supposedly Speilberg got a lot of army input for that film,), seems like they backed out of telling us if that was true.

I am throwing a few things into the discussion I am not saying I beleive anything that I wrote.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-
The pentagon does have detailed plans on what the initial response would be if aliens ever land on US soil. It was in an issue of Discover or Scientific American a while back.

Basically, if some sort of ship touches down the immediate area is evacuated. Juristicion goes to the FBI and the Nuclear Incident Response Team. Any beings on the ship are immediatly taken into custody by the FBI, and the NIR Team takes possesion of the spacecraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Pentagon watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and mimicked that plan? I feel much better now.

As an additional precaution, I made all members of my family memorize the phrase that will prevent Gort from destroying our planet in case the Pentagon's plan somehow fails. Klaatu Barata Nikto............
Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM

There are probably 100,000,000,000 galaxies, each containing an average of 100,000,000,000 stars. Yet a cathedral with three grains of sand in it is more densely packed than the universe.

I'll let others do the math.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-
The pentagon does have detailed plans on what the initial response would be if aliens ever land on US soil. It was in an issue of Discover or Scientific American a while back.

Basically, if some sort of ship touches down the immediate area is evacuated. Juristicion goes to the FBI and the Nuclear Incident Response Team. Any beings on the ship are immediatly taken into custody by the FBI, and the NIR Team takes possesion of the spacecraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Pentagon watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and mimicked that plan? I feel much better now.

As an additional precaution, I made all members of my family memorize the phrase that will prevent Gort from destroying our planet in case the Pentagon's plan somehow fails. Klaatu Barata Nikto............

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahaahah
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't seem almost equally unlikely that no form of intelligent life has ever formed on another planet?

Let's define "intelligence" as chimp-smart, just for laughs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole problem with any question like this is insufficient sample size (one is a pretty small sample) but, currently on earth, we have several species approximately chimp-smart. I would put the other great apes (gorillas, bonobos, orngutans) as roughly chimp smart, and elephants dolphins and whales are in approximately that range, too. OTOH, it appears that life developed (or migrated) to earth pretty quickly after conditins became suitable, but it took four or five billion years to evolve a technological species, assuming that there wasn't an intelligent donosaur or something of which all traces have vanished. It seems that life might be pretty common, but intelligence sufficient for interstellar travel (which we haven't achieved yet, and maybe never will), or for that matter even industrial technology and radio communication, might be quite rare.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically, no one would ever hear about it, and any "witness" would either silenced or made out to be some crazyman. Hmmmmmm
Old 12-14-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is wrong. If it is true, our first response to any visit by extraterrestrial intelligence would be an act of war. If this is correct, we have some incredibly stupid people in the military. Not that that's exactly a shock. If the aliens do visit, we'd better hope that it's a lone scout ship and that there's not a mother ship lurking nearby with the kind of weapons that a civilization capable of interstellar travel is likely to be able to produce.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the skepticism, but you're saying the pentagon would give juristicion to the [censored] FBI? NFW the military brass is buying into that one.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI-

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is wrong. If it is true, our first response to any visit by extraterrestrial intelligence would be an act of war. If this is correct, we have some incredibly stupid people in the military. Not that that's exactly a shock. If the aliens do visit, we'd better hope that it's a lone scout ship and that there's not a mother ship lurking nearby with the kind of weapons that a civilization capable of interstellar travel is likely to be able to produce.

[/ QUOTE ]

id be willing to bet that even one alien scout ship could bring down the entirely military of planet earth.

Think about what would happen if you took a M1A1 tank back even only a couple hundred years and used that bitch in the revultionary war or something. I can see the difference between alien technology and our current military being even greater than that