Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Bottom set on monotone board

200NL table. I have been sitting to the left of LAG who has been running well. 54/28. I have 530 and villian has me covered. I have been playing tight and I have only shown down strong hands. We have generally stayed away from eachother.

On the button i am dealt 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villian in the cutoff puts it to 9. I call, BB calls.

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks. Villian bets pot. Hero?

Villian has been very aggressive. Normally I would put this to 90, but if villian holds over cards I feel that he would continue betting strong and a call would make sense. A call may look like a flush draw and he may try to push me off my hand on the turn given a non-spade, given he isnt holding the Ace of spades.

BUT- I want him to pay for a flush draw.

So. Check or raise?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Bottom set on monotone board

[ QUOTE ]
So. Check or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think you're allowed to check after someone has already bet, so i guess i would raise..

seriously though, i would raise it up because either of his overcards could be a big spade, and since hes loose, he may not even be able to let it go.. (and who knows, he could even have an overpair).. also i have no problem taking this down on the spot.. dont get greedy with a drawing board out there..
Old 12-13-2005, 07:18 PM

Call. Push any non-spade turn.

Edit: Whoa.. Didn't see stack sizes... reconsidering. (For 100BBs, I use the above line)
Old 12-13-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. Push any non-spade turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep.. With $200 in the stacks I probably would had made it $55 or so on the flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:40 PM

I think I still like a call on the flop.

Since villian is opening so light, we really can't put him on much of a range here. The only way that we're going to play a big pot here is if he has an overpair with a spade, an overset, or a made flush.

Since you think he'll keep firing on the turn with a very wide range, I would let him bet the flop and turn for you. Then put in a nice raise on the turn. If he comes back over the top... well... that's hard to say. Pretty hard to make that bluff, IMO, but he may have the stones to do it.

If a spade DOES come off on the turn, then how much he bets, and how likely he is to pay you off iff you fill up become very important. You may even be able to semi-bluff him off the best hand, given your image.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 PM

well i raised it up to 90 and he folded