Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Windmills o[n] My Mind

A number of years ago (at least 20), I did some research on electricity generating windmills. There were only a few small companies manufacturing windmills back then and the cost was prohibitive.

Is anyone updated on current technology of windmills? Are there any areas around the U. S. (world too, out of curiosity) where the technology is becoming a reality for the ordinary consumer (for homes)?

It seems to me that mass production of windmills (therefore cheaper) is a simple a solution to replace some of our non renewable resources.

RJT
Old 11-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Windmills o[n] My Mind

Hi RJT. Wind power is off and running in the US. This website has alot of information. Solar power is also coming along, though these sources will probably never produce more than a small portion of the total electric demand. Sandia National Labs is working on a solar-powered stirling engine electric generator that I think is brilliant. Here is a press release on it.

These technologies are coming along, but IMO alternative energy sources will only be deployed on a large scale when they become economically viable.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 PM

they are currently building 2 down here near the borgata
Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 PM

Thanks purnell and MM for the info. I'll have to check out AC, hope to go there in Jan/Feb. Haven't been there since I started playing poker.

It does seem that most are farms. If I recall, a good wm can handle a large % of one household's needs. Seems personal windmills should come along. What's the big deal?
I guess we need tax incentives. Well, that's another forum.

RJT
Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Purnell,

If my math is correct, the Stirling solar engine costs $22.5k per household. That’s not much for a prototype. It is ridiculous that solar and wind are at these infant stages.

RJT
Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 AM

Washinton D.C. is the mother of prime locations for a wind farm. And the politics forum and even this one run closely behind.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 AM

Bluff,

I can’t argue with two items on your list. I know you well enough to assume your are correct about the politics forum, too.

RJT
Old 11-29-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A number of years ago (at least 20), I did some research on electricity generating windmills. There were only a few small companies manufacturing windmills back then and the cost was prohibitive.

Is anyone updated on current technology of windmills? Are there any areas around the U. S. (world too, out of curiosity) where the technology is becoming a reality for the ordinary consumer (for homes)?

It seems to me that mass production of windmills (therefore cheaper) is a simple a solution to replace some of our non renewable resources.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw a TV show with a personal unit for electricity generation this last year.

I estimate that the device stood about 5 feet high, had a small 3 bladed turbine with an approximately 2.5 foot diameter and supposedly generated enough electricty to power an average household. My stepdad (who worked in solar power for a number of years before Reagan killed funding) seemed extremely skeptical about the unit being capable of producing power on that scale and I tend to trust his opinion. Engineer with lots of experience, good practical engineering skills, smart, has read popular science and popular mechanics for years...

The show was really cool. They had biodegradeable plastic type stuff for forks and all sorts of alternative energy devices for consumer use. An hour long with a good host at some alternative energy fair type thing, I believe somewhere in Northern California, possibly Arcata (definitely a more forested less populated and more northerly than the SF Bay Area).
Old 11-29-2005, 11:12 AM

A friend of mine works for a large windmill concern. He says that a big reason why they didn't catch on sooner was pressure from enviromentalists! It seems they were killing some birds, and the manufactureres were being portrayed as some bird slaughtering, maniacal bird slaughterer's.

Now they turn much slower, and at least in the Midwest they are popping up all over.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My stepdad (who worked in solar power for a number of years before Reagan killed funding) seemed extremely skeptical about the unit being capable of producing power on that scale and I tend to trust his opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree with you/your stepdad. It would seem they would need to be larger (at least taller) to “capture” the wind to generate the power needed for practical purposes. But, it is good to know that work is still being carried on.