Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-04-2005, 07:14 AM

Default A Smart Christian

This guy may not be a smart as David. Then again he Was nominated for the Nobel Prize.

A Smart Christian

Not saying I agree or disagree with him. Just that he's evidently pretty smart - and a Christian.

PairTheBoard
Old 12-04-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: A Smart Christian

Honestly, from my viewpoint, a kindergarden variety of arguments...

Doesn't even start to cut it. Obviously his Nobel prize was not related to religion. That would have been a real worry.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scientists who are Christians...
Living:
Norman March
Robert Griffiths
Richard Bube
Donald Page
Allan Sandage
David Cole
Francis Collins
John Polkinghorne
S. William Pelletier
Andrew Bocarsly
James Tour

[/ QUOTE ]

When you posted this I immediately thought of mentioning my loony physics prof, but lo and behold Dr. Don Page already made the list. He's lived with Hawking and made very significant contributions to gravitational theoretical physics. He believes that God has created the world and that through physics we can find out how.

I would note that he's a crazy physicist, and its very difficult to hold a conversation with him.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you will acknowledge that you have sinned against God, and if you trust Jesus to save you from the just punishment of a holy God, you will find that He will make you into a new person, from the inside out

[/ QUOTE ] - Dr Schaeffer

Question: If God is omnipresent, then God IS Jesus. If not, Christ is the son of God (?), so is part of God (?). Therefore, "God" is saving us from His own just punishment?

Which would pose an interesting question: Why send JC down to put into effect a fundemental change of religious dogma? What could possible cause an omnipotent holy God to do this? Why would such a Creator need to make his religion (fundementally) more forgiving? Especially at a time when the Romans were being much more zealous in their methods of "gentle persuasion".

Could it be that Jesus wasn't any more the Son of God than you or I? Could it be that he, at the age of 30, decided "You know what - I'm going to start up a religio-social movement that will sweep the known world like wildfire"? Or should we simply accept the wise words of the good Dr as if a mathematical proof?

And, as a small aside, technically Newton wasn't a Christian (although he did study the Bible a lot. Gravity was the mechanism by which everything worked, but God set it all in motion. This means that God is fundementally removed from his creation, as any intervention would imply an imperfection (see Leibniz). Therefore, the understanding of the world is brought down to pure human reasoning.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously his Nobel prize was not related to religion. That would have been a real worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

And since he's neither a paleontologist, archeologist or microbiologist he can't possibly know anything about evolution and so his opinions on origins are worthless.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't even start to cut it. Obviously his Nobel prize was not related to religion. That would have been a real worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Jesus is proven to have risen from the dead because the disciples said so?? Try harder. . .
Old 12-04-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Obviously his Nobel prize was not related to religion. That would have been a real worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

And since he's neither a paleontologist, archeologist or microbiologist he can't possibly know anything about evolution and so his opinions on origins are worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested to see a debate between him (or another ID supporter with extensive knowledge on the subjects surrounding evolution) with someone like Dawkins.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't even start to cut it. Obviously his Nobel prize was not related to religion. That would have been a real worry

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought he gave conclusive reasons why Elvis must still be alive. It's the low quality of evidence evaluation that does make you wonder how it can be confined to just one area of a person intellectual life.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested to see a debate between him (or another ID supporter with extensive knowledge on the subjects surrounding evolution) with someone like Dawkins.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't, he seems to be trapped in about 1930 as far as his level of knowledge in biology goes. I didn't see any reason to think our own NReady couldn't stand in his place in that debate. ID is still just the 'god of the gaps' thinking dressed up a bit, "I can't explain it, therefore..." Not a very interesting debate since the premise from the Gappers is "anything you can't conclusively prove, I claim as mine." They don't even want to share it with the FSM.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy may not be a smart as David. Then again he Was nominated for the Nobel Prize.

A Smart Christian

Not saying I agree or disagree with him. Just that he's evidently pretty smart - and a Christian.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no nominations for the Nobel Prize. Nice try.