Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 11:08 PM

Default 2/3/5 Lucky Chances SF... Hows my line?

$500 Max NL (2/3/5, $10 to open) at Lucky Chances, San Francisco.

Button (~$1000) is a regular, tricky player. I (~$1000) have a lot of respect for him and he knows this. We have been sitting at this table (must-move game) for a couple of hours, with these positions for at least the last hour. He can be LAG when in position, and has snapped me off at least once tonight when I raised UTG and he called on the button. The rest of the table is pretty simple. I've been raising a lot of hands pf and following through often.

Here is the hand.
I'm UTG with AJo, raise $45,
3 callers, including Button.

FLOP Jh 7c 4h (~$140)

I bet $150, folds to button who calls.

Turn is 9h (~$440)

I think for 10 seconds or so and check. Button bets $200.

I think for nearly a minute... raise to $400, button looks surprised, thinks for a few moments and calls.

River is Ad (~$1240)

I push without hesitation.

Comments on all streets?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: 2/3/5 Lucky Chances SF... Hows my line?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm UTG with AJo, raise $45,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten-handed, AJo (as well as KQo) is just about garbage UTG. I recommend tossing it. If you have to play it, I would limp.

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP Jh 7c 4h (~$140)

I bet $150, folds to button who calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. We desperately need to know if your A is the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is 9h (~$440)

[/ QUOTE ]

See why it's important to tell us about that A?

[ QUOTE ]
I think for nearly a minute... raise to $400, button looks surprised, thinks for a few moments and calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dislike the check-raise. I dislike it even more that it was for the minimum. If you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] all-in works better for me than doing a mini-raise. My move? If you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I would call, otherwise fold.

[ QUOTE ]
River is Ad (~$1240)

I push without hesitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

How is that game? I've never played that game before, and am hesitant to do so as you're only given a starting stack of 50x the bring-in amount. I recommend "The Palace Card Club" in Hayward, CA for some nice no-limit action with no capped buy-in and a lot of donkey-ish type players.

Garland
Old 10-10-2005, 12:28 AM

I agree with Garland on the preflop action, AJo is too hard to play in that position, especially when you catch a piece of the flop and face resistance.

On the flop, you bet a little more than the pot and were called. What did you think villian had at that point? Overpair, a set, flush draw? What were you plans for the hand if called?

I don't know what to make of villians turn bet. He could be betting a made flush, he could be betting a set thinking it's the best hand. Your min check raise on the turn represents a LOT of strength. The board is scary as hell, yet you don't mind giving villian 5:1 to see a river card. Your basically representing a misplayed nut flush here.

Who knows what villian has when he calls the turn bet. Maybe a set hoping to fill up, or the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. No matter what hits the river you're moving in, correct? This is a read dependent move. What sort of hands do you put vilian on by the river, what hands do you think he'll fold?

If it were me , I'd just peek down at my cards, first the A and get a little excited, then the J, only to curse my rigidness and fold. If I did play it though, I'd pot the flop then check-fold the turn to a supposed solid player.

Edit: To answer your question Garland, the deuce/3/5 is usually a good game, and sickeningly good on friday night.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your min check raise on the turn represents a LOT of strength. The board is scary as hell, yet you don't mind giving villian 5:1 to see a river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be discounting the possibility that villian might push over the top all-in making it difficult to call given ~16:6 to see the river if he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Garland
Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 AM

ohh, you're right Garland, I assumed OP didn't have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM

No, I did not have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I heard The Palace is dangerous, people get stabbed and dealers get roughed up.

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: To answer your question Garland, the deuce/3/5 is usually a good game, and sickeningly good on friday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only raise AJo UTG on Friday/Saturday night... weeknights = fold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I did not put villain on the flush, he wouldn't have called the flop bet once it became heads-up. I'm also sure he would have raised the flop with a set. I put him on a weaker J or two pair. On the turn, I felt like a bet would have screamed 'no flush' and letting him fire would give me the opportunity to push him off 2 pair. When the river came I thought I was good.

Results in white:
<font color="white"> Button calls, I show AJo (two pair), he mucks. Says he had J9 (two pair).
I rake ~$2000. </font>

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 PM

Are you guys in the bay?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Muck preflop or limp or minraise. Flop fine. Turn I like the check. Would've check-raised more on the turn and decided the flush issue right there (sounds like you did that). River push away but after raising the turn more it becomes an easier play given the pot size.

This game sounds sooo good to be in late at night when it's time for beers.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:08 PM

What a weird hand. During the summer I went to lucky chances quite regularly to play their 20/40NL. Now that school has started I can only make it on fridays.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I've heard the 20/40 is composed of grinders and big rich fish. True? I don't have the roll for it yet.