Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM

Default paradise 40/80 check raise

This hand wasn't played by me but I discussed it with a friend and I wanted to post it.

/edit full table

hero is UTG raises AQo and is 3 bet by an unknown who just posted last hand (so it's his second hand). HU to the flop.

Flop comes T82r

hero checks, unknown bets, hero raises.

I feel so n00bular, but my friend said he was thinking it was a good play by AQ and I'm thinking it just might have been but for some reason (probably I have a lot of improving to do) I can't quite make up my mind. Is it spraying or good aggressive play?

I think it really depends what % you can get him off AK. He's not folding an over pair.

This just feels like one of those plays clarkmeister would be making. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: paradise 40/80 check raise

I don't play that game, but i think it is prolly a bad play. Live i think it would be a good play, but online everyone is just so move crazy no one ever believes anyone and i think AK and most underpairs are going to showdown.
Dave
Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 PM

I think this is an awful play considering he had no read on the player. If he had drawing outs like an OESD or flush draw then this play can be somewhat profitable, but he is drawing to an A or Q. It is very possible the villian 3-bet of an UTG raise signifies a big pair or AK(a tough villian who isn't weak tight probably won't lay down AK on the flop). So even if he hits his A, then villian may have you outkicked with AK.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play that game, but i think it is prolly a bad play. Live i think it would be a good play, but online everyone is just so move crazy no one ever believes anyone and i think AK and most underpairs are going to showdown.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-17-2005, 05:04 PM

If I had AQo in this spot and you happened to be the 3-better checkraising the flop would be awful poker by me.

Considering that I cannot checkraise this flop with AQo against you, a known donkey, I cannot do it against an unknown donkey.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 AM

And what if he has TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA ?

This is 40/80 - maybe he thinks you have AQ/AK yourself (shock) he may 3-bet you to push you off.

Since I don't play this high I have no idea what 'level' players are guessing/2nd guessing/3rd guessing each other here.

But I am probably betting into a ragged flop since it's unlikely I hit a T82r flop and that had I had an overpair I might well have bet it (and you didn't cap so it's even more unlikely you have the overpair).
Old 01-19-2005, 08:13 AM

Seems terrible, he's not folding a pair and is going to take at least one off with AK. As you said, the play is only going to work if you know you can get him off AK a fair amount of the time, which is unlikely against your average opponent.

On a more general note, how much experience do you have with the Paradise 40 games? How good/ bad are they compared to, say, the Party 15?