Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 04:50 PM

Default pot odds in low-fixed sng\'s

Are pot odds really important in these games? Since there is typically enough action on most hands to make calling usually the right "pot odds" play, doesn't common sense override pot odds considerably at this level, as opposed to higher stakes games where play is tighter?

I'm relatively a noob at poker so I am still training myself to look at pot odds... just wondering if it should be of prime importance in situations at this level.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: pot odds in low-fixed sng\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Since there is typically enough action on most hands to make calling usually the right "pot odds" play, doesn't common sense override pot odds considerably at this level

[/ QUOTE ]

Read what you just said.

How are you overriding the pot odds while there is enough action to give you profitable pot odds.

this is profitable play using pot odds and nothing besides.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: pot odds in low-fixed sng\'s

Allthough I will admit, that in a large MTT, I will take the good bets and risk busting out of the tourney early, that is simply because it gives you better chances of winning, your goal is to get high in rankings and not just inside the bubble , and you risk getting blinded out a zillion times before you get there, so accumulation chips is toppriority

Now what I hear Timmay say is, that he plays very weak SNG's ... where everybody plays a lot of hands and stays in the hand.

Usually these things have a pattern .. half the players are eliminated quickly ... which is good ... and the other half continnues to play badly thereafter or gets very tight.

Now the first half will pay you back soon enough (but now you are taking the good bets against them heads up instead of in multiway pots)

And the tight players .. well wait for the blinds to grow larger and then steal, bully and push .. (but do not be afraid to push with trash, or you will be blinded out)

While the above is not in anyway correct poker, I might be a reasonable way to play the cheapest of cheapest of SNG's ... as long as you know you are 'violating' general pokerprinciples .. and know what allows you to do this, so if you suddenly find yourself in an SNG, that isn't this weak you can adjust