Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:29 AM

Default SB/BB play in 6-max

I'm wondering if you have any guidelines for playing out of the SB/BB if there's a raise and/or 3-bet in front of you...and you don't perceive it to be a steal attempt?

.50/1.00 PP today, I was in the small blind with KTo. UTG raised and CO 3-bet. I thought about it...wished they were suited...and threw them across the room.

I haven't studied it much, but I figured if it's 3-bet to me in the small blind, I'd need a hand worthy of calling/capping a 3-bet. Even though I'm already in for half-a-bet, I'd think the terrible post-flop position negates that.

I find I end up folding to most single raises in the SB if I don't, at least, have a hand I would consider raising with (along SSHE guidelines). I'll call with moderate to big suited-connectors (as low as 98s if there were enough people and I felt frisky).

How do you handle it?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: SB/BB play in 6-max

I wouldnt even call if they were suited.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 AM

your heading for a world of pain contemplating calling a 3 bet with K10o from the SB in a short handed game

in a low limit game where a 3 bet usually means someone actually has something i would probably only play AK and JJ+ and i would be capping - to a single raise i likewise like to generally 3 bet or fold so say AQo+ 99+ maybe AJs - i cold call with smaller pocket pairs and when i'm feeling loose and crazy KQs, KJs

short handed is about position and rank - calling a raise with 98s from the SB is offending both the rules

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in a low limit game where a 3 bet usually means someone actually has something i would probably only play AK and JJ+ and i would be capping

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way I look at a legitimate early raise and subsequent reraise before it gets to me. At that point, it doesn't matter if I'm in the blind or not, I need a premium hand. I'm either capping or folding.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your heading for a world of pain contemplating calling a 3 bet with K10o from the SB in a short handed game

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair I never really thought seriously about calling. It was just the impetus for my deep thoughts on calling raises and 3-bets from the SB & BB.