Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 08:41 PM

Default The ACLU: Do-Gooders in Action

The ACLU is always sending me letters. Since I belong to this organization, I obviously should expect it but I still find it loathsome to see their latest letter barking about some crusade to save the U.S. from threat X, Y, or Z or panting about the latest mischievous doings of President Bush, and his leagues of minions, that are supposedly shredding the constitution and acting improperly in so many deplorable ways. I pay $20 a year for this trash. And of course, I am asked to donate additional money to save the U.S. from impending Armageddon. The hoopla is crouched in the most pleasent and pedestrian propagandist language.

An example of the most recent hooey:

“They want to turn America into a country governed by their interpretation of the Bible, serviced by faith-based, taxpayer-funded institutions and guided by Christian doctrine against which neither citizens nor judges should dare to speak up. “

‘They’? Ever since I was about three years old I have continuously heard about that all powerful and ubiquitous, but somehow shadowy, group called ‘They’. ‘They’ is always conjured up from the nether regions of hell by the paranoia-minded parasites out to bilk more bucks from the unwary, the scared, and the credulous.

Time to stock up on ammo and purchase that new rifle I’ve been wanting. ‘They’ are obviously after me too. The ACLU told me so.

Le Misanthrope
Old 06-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: The ACLU: Do-Gooders in Action

[ QUOTE ]
“They want to turn America into a country governed by their interpretation of the Bible, serviced by faith-based, taxpayer-funded institutions and guided by Christian doctrine against which neither citizens nor judges should dare to speak up. “

[/ QUOTE ]

This is retarded.

Did Dean write it, by any chance?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
‘They’ is always conjured up from the nether regions of hell by the paranoia-minded parasites out to bilk more bucks from the unwary, the scared, and the credulous.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how much did they get you for?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pay $20 a year for this trash

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you can stop if you want.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:03 PM

$20 is pretty cheap for a year's worth of entertainment
Old 06-15-2005, 09:33 PM

true
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 PM

I trust you are getting your cheap entertaiment. If not, you too can: ACLU website.

I have frequently had to give you poker lessons and how they apply in real life. So here is another:

Right now democracy, religious freedoms, and secular thinking has a big lead in the poker game of American politics. However, giving free cards can be very dangerous. A small blocking bet by giving to the ACLU can help prevent a catastrophic card coming off, and America ending up in the trash heap of a Christian (or other) theocracy. Do you understand poker? If so, make the blocking bet.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 PM

I don't see a problem. There are people who want that. And many aren't that shy about it. The people who loudly proclaim that this is a Christian Nation and think the Bible should be the basis of our laws. They want our schools to mirror their beliefs. They want people with their beliefs to be judges. They want their religious symbols in the courthouse. These are the people that think its important to have mentions of God on our legal tender and in our pledge. They don't want gays to marriage because its against their religion.

The GOP caters to these people. You may recall during the last election the GOP sent pamphlets to all the Registered Republicans in 2 states telling them that if Kerry won, the Bible would be banned. These are the people who pushed to have the law changed so now religious groups can receive federal funds. These are the people who fight against the science of evolution being taught in schools. I even heard that pressure from the religious right also helped end the Hubble program.

And its not a shadowy organization working in secret. Its people who petition right out in the open. They fight to have prayer in schools.

And... if you think the ACLU is amazing in action... how about the GOP saying "THEY" will ban the Bible. I'd say the ACLU looks tame in comparison.

I still recall after the last election some man-on-the-street interviews and there were 2 Bush fans who said that they voted for Bush, because he's not afraid to pray. The people who believe Bush talks with God. Who buy that he's on a mission to God. And for them we have Faith Based Initiatives. They're l
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 PM

I have no problem with blocking bets, but they just sounded retarded in that ad piece.

And I do have a problem with hyperbole and exaggeration.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:24 AM

To be serious, in my opinion, the ACLU probably does more good than harm. Which is not bad for a Do-Gooder organization. But ACLU letters, pamphlets, and other literature are woefully put together and full of such exaggerated hooey, scare tactics, and stretches of logic that I find it insulting. It is on the same level with Republican or Democratic political party propaganda, or just about any other organization of whatever persuasion, that is out to either save the world or get your money – usually both.

The antics of the ACLU are at the same juvenile level as the people they are ‘fighting against’ or in disagreement with. It is all geared and ratcheted up (actually down, in my opinion) depending on how dire the cause is or how little time there is to right all the wrongs or rectified all the draconian agendas of the ‘enemy’. At least on face value, this reeks of hypocrisy.

It is very interesting reading all the political, social/moral, or environmental solicitations I receive. As far as I can recall, I have yet to receive one that presented facts undistorted or in a straightforward manner with reasonable and logical arguments without resorting to ballyhoo, half-truths, exaggeration, scare tactics and other propagandist buffoonery.

If the ACLU wants some of my money, why don’t they try the high road instead of the same low road as ‘the enemy’?

But I don’t expect them to; that would be too civil and liberal minded.

Le Misanthrope