Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Never slowplay a monster to the river...

One of the first lessons I learned from a book about poker was to never slowplay a monster until the river. Even if they catch something the will not pay you off if the pot is nothing. This hand almost proof me wrong, except for the fact that I was extremely lucky and won the pot from the player with "the monster hand". Anyway, this is a kind of useless post, but I was just so chocked that 4 players at 6 max was going all-in with a scary board like that. Hahaha, sometimes you just love the crazy action at pp NL25.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($41.22)
BB ($25.35)
Hero ($24.75)
MP ($24)
CO :#A500AF(Villian)/ ($25.81)
Button ($37.33)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
Hero calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, CO :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, Villian calls $0.25.

Turn: ($2.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, Hero calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, Villian calls $0.25.

River: ($3.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $24 (All-In), MP calls $23.25 (All-In), Villian calls $25.06 (All-In), SB calls $10.06.

Final Pot: $100.62

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qs 8s (straight, queen high).
Hero has Jc Jd (full house, jacks full of tens).
MP has Ah 8d (straight, jack high).
Villian has 7h Th (full house, tens full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $98.50. Villian wins $2.12. </font>

I guess I had kind of good implied odds.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Never slowplay a monster to the river...

fish!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:29 AM

Of course I fish if it's almost for free... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 AM

i think even if i'm the guy with 7's, i'm losing my stack here.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM

I don't think the villain slowplaying is such a bad idea. I can't really be afraid of a better full house coming on the river. With no preflop raise, it's unlikely that someone has AA, KK, or QQ. You only had two outs to catch. This is why I think the villain slowplayed. He was trying to get full value for his full boat.

However, I would've bet the turn to build the pot (not to win it right there). Playing as the villain, I would also lose my stack there.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the first lessons I learned from a book about poker was to never slowplay a monster until the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
6 max

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls $0.25

[/ QUOTE ]

That's odd, it seemed like slowplaying your big hand worked quite well for you here.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:21 PM

O man I loose so much with JJ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Guess thats cause I treat them bigger then they deserve...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:50 PM

I don't like building pots preflop with JJ UTG, I play JJ from that position mostly for set value. But I would appriciate if you post some hands on how you play JJ more aggressiv UTG and what you do if the flop is scary.

[ QUOTE ]

That's odd, it seemed like slowplaying your big hand worked quite well for you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes, JJ is a big hand at 6 max, but certainly not a monster. My play is qestionable, of course, if no one had a ten, I was basically giving them free cards. If someone had a ten, I was almost drawing dead. I was stuck in the middle, and couldn't decide so I just followed and watched and got lucky.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:09 PM

yes, giving straight or flush drawers almost correct odds to draw (dead) and if the hit you can, in many cases, cash in a lot more. The thing that surprised me most was that the other two players would have payed him off, especially the one with the lower straight. If there are both a flush draw and a straight draw and no one is betting with a scary board like that, I always suspect someone have a full house already. Better to bet to "protect" your "trips".