Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Man, My Last 182,000 Hands have really Sucked.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh wow. A 90k breakeven stretch doesn't sound like much fun. I think at that point you can consider that you're not really a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but then the 329,000 hands before that were pretty misleading.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what game?

[/ QUOTE ]

3/6 full, primarily
Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 PM

It could be worse, you could be just about dead nuts even like I am, actually slightly losing over my last 120K. Maybe in another 60K I can crank out a +700BBs and be happy.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It could be worse, you could be just about dead nuts even like I am, actually slightly losing over my last 120K. Maybe in another 60K I can crank out a +700BBs and be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

Pokerbob, Microbob, you... me.

Seriously, wtf?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure I've played 329k hands lifetime.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Dude this year has been incredibly chitty. Even live has been ugly. I played a 10/20 at the Taj this past Monday in one of the best games I've seen in a long time, like 5+ to the flop for multiple bets almost every hand for like 6 hours. My VPIP in that game was probably like 7% including blinds. I mean I had NOTHING even close to playable, nothign even suited, not even 3 gappers. I was praying for some MW suited hands to play, any pockets, etc...but just too many 62o, 82o, K4o, Q3o, etc hands. I was drooling with a towel duct taped to my jaw it was that good. But as expect, the big hands got cracked...gonna happen in games that loose, but even monsters were getting cracked...boat lost to runner runner double board pair bigger boat, overpairs to rivered 2 outer sets, dominated hands rivering kickers, big pockets losing to an Aced river, etc. Same type of hands that I've been battling all year, nothing new, not whining, it's just the reality of the entire year. I can't wait for 2005 to just end so I can feel like its over! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3/6 full, primarily

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should move up. You were playing that game back when I was, over a year ago. You are leaving lots of money behind by not moving up in stakes. Of course, you have probably heard this before so take it for what you will.

My apologies if this is considered content.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:02 PM

"
wtf?

Pokerbob, Microbob, you... me.

Seriously, wtf? "

I don't believe I should be counted among that group.

I was not playing a +EV game. I suspect that you other guys possibly were (although not necessarily).

As I recall, you play a ton of tables for some lengthy hours.
It's very easy to start missing stuff when you do this (both about your opponents...and about how something might have changed about your game).

I would love 0.38BB/100 instead of my losing stretch...but that kind of win-rate still really sucks (especially over that many hands) and you might not be playing as well as you were previously.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I recall, you play a ton of tables for some lengthy hours.
It's very easy to start missing stuff when you do this (both about your opponents...and about how something might have changed about your game).

I would love 0.38BB/100 instead of my losing stretch...but that kind of win-rate still really sucks (especially over that many hands) and you might not be playing as well as you were previously.

[/ QUOTE ]

During this stretch I've made numerous attempts to improve my game, not because of the bad run, but because I naturally want to be a better player.

I've gone through many coaching sessions, read many new books, re-read my old books, and focused on reading the strategy forums as opposed to General, Zoo, Aff/RB, OOT etc. I've tried to absorb as much information as I can and apply it to my game.

My wife suggests that I just go back to my weak-tight 1BB/100 strategy that was proven over many many 100s of thousands of hands. Problem is, I forgot how to play like that. It's not that I've turned into a LAG either:

Old 12-28-2005, 06:09 PM

"strategy forums as opposed to General, Zoo, Aff/RB"

what a great idea. maybe I should do that sometime.

"I've gone through many coaching sessions, read many new books, re-read my old books, and focused on reading the strategy forums"

sounds pretty good to me.
just keep working....or take a break. whichever (or both).

How many tables are you playing though?? Have you tried cutting down a little bit for some of your sessions just to focus on more details?