Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Learning to ride a motorcycle...

I want to learn to ride a motorcycle. Obviously I'm going to want to take a motorcycle safety class before I do this, but I'd like to hear from some people who own or have owned a motorcycle in the past. How difficult is to learn how to ride on one? How long did it take you until you feel comfortable riding one on the freeway or for extended distances? Please share your experiences.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Learning to ride a motorcycle...

Take care, get some decent protective clothes, and don't freak out when you come off. Stick to slowish town riding till you've come off a few times. When you do come off (or have a near miss), pull over the side, and deep breathe till the shock wears off. It's just learning, so take it easy!

You will come off a couple of times, cos you haven't got the feel of braking.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:53 AM

I dropped the bike that they give you during the course, and was happy to get that out of my system on their bike and not mine. Once you have taken the course and done some riding on your own bike you will start feeling very comfortable. I had a GSXR600 and enjoyed it very much.

Never brake during a turn! Not even a little!
Old 11-12-2005, 08:12 AM

How much are lessons?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:20 AM

i live in vancouver BC, took a course intructed by Proride, it was 6-7 hundred for group lessons, starting in a parking lot going around cones and stuff, and moving up to riding on the road. They also fast tracked you for getting your full license, which had a waiting list back when i was doing this, 3 years ago.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i live in vancouver BC, took a course intructed by Proride, it was 6-7 hundred for group lessons, starting in a parking lot going around cones and stuff, and moving up to riding on the road. They also fast tracked you for getting your full license, which had a waiting list back when i was doing this, 3 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. 600-700 for the entire group, or just for you? If the former, how much per person?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:36 AM

You will drop the bike and/or fall at first. Don't think you are pathetic.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:49 AM

that was per person. it was a pretty long course. group of maybe 8 people. Its easily worth it, I thought i already knew how to ride, but came out of the course thinking i would have killed myself if i hadnt taken it. Alot of the important stuff is understanding positioning so that you protect yourself and stay visible to cars.

Your gonna spend 8-10 g's on a new bike, and another grand on gear, and its your own life your risking aswell. Even if you grew up riding motorcross and have great judgment for scenarios on the streets, its still worth it to take some lessons.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 AM

I never knew riding a motorcycle took so much learning. I see these fat dudes on harleys all the time, so I figured it was a pretty easy thing to pick up.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 AM

I've never laid down a bike, not even during my safety class, when I had never ridden a motorcycle before.

Is that weird?