Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Here is one... good? I donīt know...

[ QUOTE ]

btw, AZK I'll look for that commerce thread. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

if / when you find it, please bump it? ty.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:53 PM

What is the exact spelling of his username? I'm having trouble finding it.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:53 PM

giftofgab
Old 06-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

representing the ace heads up can always be an opportunity to bluff in either limit or no limit
Old 06-25-2005, 05:59 PM

i have a bluff story... it was called in the end but i had literally everyone at the table fooled and i think it was personally a horrible call by him that happened to be correct this one time...

I have Ad7d, and I limp on the button (perhaps questionable to limp on the button, that's another story)... 6 to the flop in a 5/5 NL game.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked around to me, so I bet out 35... The tightest player at the table, UTG (1000), who I have covered, immediately check raises to 85. Everyone at the table folds, I call... this was the most questionable decision of the hand. It didn't occur to me until after I uttered "call" that my 2 pair or trips would be no good, heh.

The turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], for a board of A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I decide that of course because of his puny check raise, this is the perfect time to represent spades... so he bets out 100. I put him on a set or top two... I raise to 400. MY thinking here was that he is absolutely calling the turn, absolutely, for redraws. If a higher spade falls, and he has the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], he will bet (he's a straightforward player). If the board pairs, I will instantaneously ditch the hand. I raise to 400 because I misread his stack... I thought he had 1400 (black looked like a purple), and I wanted to leave myself enough to go all in with SIGNIFICANT fold equity on the river.

River is a complete blank, he checks and I go all in for his remaining 520 or so, which I thought would be closer to a grand.

He agonizes for a long time, says I know you have the flush but I'm stuck a lot of money so I Call... he shows AK, with the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He told me he called because he had the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he didn't think I would just go all in w/o the nuts like that.... haha I didn't realize tight players assume everyone are as tight as they are!

Anyway the thinkiung was I put him on a VERY specific hand and I thought I could represent a specific one so well that he would not only pay me money on the turn, but deefinitely fold the river... I made sure (though incorrectly) to leave enough money to have fold equity on the river, knowing he'd call the turn.

I think bluffs need to represent specific hands, and I think you need to think about maximizing profit while maintaining enough folding equity, etc. I still stand by thinkign this was a good play, but so it goes... so there's my story about a big bluff and what I was thinking.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:25 PM

a good quote from the recent "top 5 attributes" thread

[ QUOTE ]

Also, nobody can master bluffing, it is a risk every time it is done. If you bluff too much, you will undoubtedly lose money (the same is true for the opposite, however).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-25-2005, 06:38 PM

It looks like it might be in the newer archives already, basically multiway pot, gab flops a double gutter, someone bets clears the field except for him, turn doesn't help gab, guy overbets, gab got the msg that he was protecting a hand rather than sitting on a monster (I think the board was AT88 2 tone i think). River brings the flush that gab doesn't have, the guy now checks and gabs bets the pot or so I think. This is a rough memory of this hand. The point is that you have to know your opponent. Gab knew this guy was nitty and would lay down a hand like AK...
Old 06-25-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
representing the ace heads up can always be an opportunity to bluff in either limit or no limit

[/ QUOTE ]

You can certainly TRY to represent the ace whenever it flops, but you won't always be given credit for it, and sometimes your opponent will have the hand you're trying to represent.

In the example I posted, with five people to the flop it should be "obvious" that someone has an ace. And when I called there were still three players to act behind me, so I can't be calling with trash with the hopes of launching a delayed bluff... it turns out I only had some straight draw or something, but my play looks completely consistent with a made hand to everyone else. And when my opponent gives up control of the betting, it's telling me that he's giving up on the hand. So my bluff here is good because my previous action in the hand is consistent with the hand I'm representing, and my opponent is showing weakness.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:45 PM

I think gab picked up a flush draw on the turn. Otherwise I think he was planning to fold to the big bet at that point.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:03 PM

Since he won't bother, I will - I do this sort of thing often.

If someone is raising preflop >10% of the time; if someone is auto-betting every flop, and; if someone is checking the turn if they've missed the flop, I will call preflop having made the decision in advance to bluff call the flop some % of the time (and i bluff raise some %, too) and bet the turn. If they fire twice a high enough % of the time that their hand range consists of relatively few hands that can call a raise I will start bluff raising the turn some % of the time, too (whether I follow through on the river depends largely on the hand range I assign them after they call my raise and the river card!). Things like this make a big difference when playing shorthanded. Preflop and on the flop you're jostling over small pots and setting up larger ones. Make sure you win enough of the small pots that you aren't automatically donating money to aggressive preflop/flop players by calling their raises and folding if you miss. It is also easier to setup larger pots where your hand range(s) has/have a significant edge over your opponent's when they are drawing erroneous conclusions about what you're likely to be holding based on limited information (and poor reasoning skills, of course), something almost every opponent is prone to doing. Manipulate your hand ranges. Make them interact with your opponent's so that you have an edge. That's the game.

This is all you're getting out of me. There's more to think about against sophisticated opponents and when it comes to turn/river bluffs. Maybe some other time.