Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 AM

Default What is people skills?

I read from time to time in this forum that iq and people skills are inversely correlated above a certain point on the intelligence curve.

What does "people skills" mean?

1) Empathy? The ability to understand other people's feelings. This would mean that highly intelligent people likely have tendencies leaning towards psycopathy.

2) The opposite of autism? (I can't come up with the word for this). With autism being a condition where you are unable to communicate or form relationships and express feelings.

3) Being extroverted? Beginning to ramble?
I am a fairly introverted person. Does this mean that I have worse "people skills" than extroverted people?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: What is people skills?

I think what people are calling "people skills" is nothing more than one's ability or willingness to:

project a positive self-image
disagree without being disagreeable
display appropriate humility

But then again I am a hermit.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:42 AM

Default 1 have 3l1t3 P30Pll3 $k1ll$

People skills, like the name suggests is your skill at dealing with people.

Things like

"Are you able to get people to like you?"

"Are you able to have a good idea of what people are feeling / thinking based on non-verbal clues?"

That sort of thing.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 PM

Not just understand others' feelings. Being able to feel what others feel. Being able to spot a lie. Being able to lie without being caught. Being able to believe what you are telling others and therefore being persuasive.
Being able to precipitate conflict when strong and avoid conflict when weak. Being able to make your friends feel good. Being able to make your business partners think that they are getting a good bargain. Being on time for people who value being on time. Being creative for people who love to play with new ideas. Being able to communicate exactly what you want in such a way that others will want it too.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:49 PM

If it's not clear why the intelligent few are unable to communicate with the mediocre majority, then you must have really great people skills. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm just kidding.

I don't think answers 1, 2 or 3 are correct. If you are blessed with great intelligence, then you will probably find things like science, math, history, litterature, in other words great forms of human knowledge, much more interesting than the idiots who suround you. Hence their unsuitability for "people skills."

Now I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but have you ever had a job interview where the person interviewing you was clearly an ignorant phillistine? Being able to suck it up and appear genuinely interested, now that's people skills.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:51 PM

The art of rhetoric, then? "Rhetoric," in the classical sense of the word.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 PM

The art of Rhetoric is a really advanced application. It is essential if you aspire to be a political leader or a preacher. I was aiming for salesmanship, which is also very useful. Being always "on" when people are around, having multiple situation-dependent "personas". Appearing trustworthy and dependable 100% of the time, a man of your word.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are blessed with great intelligence, then you will probably find things like science, math, history, litterature, in other words great forms of human knowledge, much more interesting than the idiots who suround you. Hence their unsuitability for "people skills."

[/ QUOTE ]

most of the smartest/ most inteligent people who I've met are fascinated with everything around them including the people. granted some of them are more coy, but this isn't because a huaghtyness or lack of careing, intrest or empathy it's because of an aloofness and lack of signifigant comon ground. for instance lets say you go to a movie with some friends and the movie has an oversimplified plot and extremely corny and simple humor... you hate the movie your friends love it. it's going to be hard for you to relate with your friends through the medium of the movie. now lets take the most brilliant person in the world, whose mental pathways work in ways signifigantly different fromthe average bloke I would posit that their relating to the norm through world mediums would be similar to you relating to your friends through the dumb movie...

that's all the armchair psychology i have in me for today

-little fish

ps. Post #250
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 PM

I think that there is a high likleyhood that those people with a higher intelligence also have egos to match and those egos are what get in their way of "people skills".

Anyone can have good people skills provided they are willing to listen, clarify, and understand.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone can have good people skills provided they are willing to listen, clarify, and understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree... there are plenty of people who are very kind and considerate but who don't have good people skills. people skills require an affability, wit, sense of humor, and ability to understand people not just a willingness too. I think everyone can improve their people skills, but i don't hink anyone can have good people skills. I also think that people skills are best measured with ones interactions with others. if someone has inherit physical or mental issues that make others uncomfortable it will be harder for them to have good people skills. I think i'll start a thread on the idea that looks affect people skills. also i think mental diabilities greatly affect someones people skills. I think these trends also apply on less extreme levels. saying that anyone who is willing is able to have good people skills is just silly.

-little fishy