Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 PM

Default QQ final table

Live tournament, top 4 paid (50/25/15/10). 7 players left, I am 3rd with 17.5K, big stacks both have ~ 25K. Blinds 2000/4000 ante 500. I get QQ UTG+1 - big stacks are on the button and SB, respectively. No real strong reads on either of the big stacks- they both seem like "solid" players.

My M here clearly justifies all-in. But I figure, I am playing for first and I don't mind a call from one of the big stacks if they get a hand, so I open-raise to 10K, commiting myself to the pot. Thoughts?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: QQ final table

Bad. First, you probably are not affecting anyone's decision very much. To the extent that you are, however, it's not a good thing. BB would have practically the correct odds to call you with Ax or Kx even if you went all in. The EV gain from this call would be pretty marginal for you, and since this is a bubble situation, $EV and cEV probably don't align perfectly. In other words, you should push and be happy if Ax folds.

Then there are metagame considerations. If you showdown QQ here, your pushes are going to get that much less respect in the future, since they'll consider it that much less likely you have a hand.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:46 PM

Open push. You're obviously tying yourself to the pot but you don't want anyone to be able to get away from a dominated pair, or whiffed high cards on the flop, even though they'll be getting great odds to call your push on the flop, they might not know that. Make them put it all-in now when you have what's almost certainly the best hand. Or increase your stack my 50%. There's far too much in the middle to care about whether or not you'll get action.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:35 PM

If your opponents are any good, they may read the 60% stack raise as a big pair. Just push.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad. First, you probably are not affecting anyone's decision very much. To the extent that you are, however, it's not a good thing. BB would have practically the correct odds to call you with Ax or Kx even if you went all in. The EV gain from this call would be pretty marginal for you, and since this is a bubble situation, $EV and cEV probably don't align perfectly. In other words, you should push and be happy if Ax folds.

Then there are metagame considerations. If you showdown QQ here, your pushes are going to get that much less respect in the future, since they'll consider it that much less likely you have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you showdown QQ here, your pushes are going to get that much less respect in the future, since they'll consider it that much less likely you have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

er.. what?

If you're showing down strong hands, you don't lose fold equity.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cards do not have memory. You are just as likely to get a big hand after getting QQ after getting 23o.

I push this.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM

same thing.... *yawn*