Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 AM

Default river bluff

Hi all,

First, a little background on me. I've been playing for 5 years now and I used to post a lot on this forum (2003 and back). I am a winner online from my debut at 10c/25c to 1/2. Last year, I got back to school and basically stop to study poker like I used to. I got satisfied by my skill level and continued to beat stars's 25c/50c and 50c/1$. Since I go to school and only work as a waiter during weekends, I often need to cashout to make ends meet at the end of the month. So basically, I can't get a hold on a respectable bankroll despite having won close to 30k so far (I got less then 500$ roll right now...)

Ressent success of one of my friends, who also post here as "Raven" have motivated me to get back on improving my game and climb the level ladder. I now aim to be playing 2/4 on a regular basis next year at this date. For that, I'll need a roll of around 8k-10k. So, that is my goal for the year and I'll post updates on that from time to time.

Now, to the hand. 1st hand at the table, just posted in LP.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) converter

UTG ($65.45)
Hero ($50)
Button ($66.15)
SB ($84.30)
BB ($24)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $0.50, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($5.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, UTG calls $4.

River: ($16.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>

I tought about just taking the free card on the turn but decided to go whit the turn semi-bluff raise. It was to deguise my hand if I hit the flush OR the open-str8 draw/ set up a beliveble river bluff / win right there.

On the river, is weak bet looked so much like a blocking bet I felt the opportunity was good to try to take it from him.

Thoughts?

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]