Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: i openlimp on the button with Axo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This seems uncalled for.

On a different note, HPFAP talks about why limping from the button with ace rag is right against loose blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh really, i didnt know that. do you happen to know what chapter it was in? ive read the book i just dont remember that but would like to review it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Page 197, "When the Blinds are Very Loose."

If you knew SB was a TAG, would you still consider openlimping Ax on the button?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you happen to know what chapter it was in? ive read the book i just dont remember that but would like to review it.

[/ QUOTE ]

pp197-198
Old 10-26-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hate being a jerk, but i want you to stop replying to my threads

[/ QUOTE ]

??? i thought bright's analysis was right on the money.

[/ QUOTE ]YIKES!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Hey Tstone,

I don't mind the pf limp against an overly-loose BB who wont give up easily preflop. I think you have to let this flop go - he's quite passive and bet into a 3way field...while flop bets don't mean much I'd say we are behind a significant amount of the time due to his passivity.

Also, try to chill out a bit? Nothing in this thread got too out of hand, but it's a strategy forum and everyone's here to do their best to give advice.

Bright's analysis was good...sure, it didn't pertain to this exact hand but it was a correct inference given the description of BB and the pf situation in general. While it may not provide any help to you, others that read this thread may learn something from it.

Surf
Old 10-26-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the pf limp against an overly-loose BB who wont give up easily preflop. I think you have to let this flop go - he's quite passive and bet into a 3way field...while flop bets don't mean much I'd say we are behind a significant amount of the time due to his passivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I've just started this. When folded to me on the buttton, I would always raise to steal. However, given the looseness of the BB in this case, I think the limp is better. As said, the BB will call any kind of raise. Limping hides your A and he will pay you off. However, in this situation I would probably let the flop go, given no hand/no draw and he is passive. If you are going to play it, I do like your line.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Here's my take on the whole thing.....

Something's wrong with the equation. A big blind that never folds preflop, but always folds postflop when an ace hits? Those are two absolutes that just don't go together for the same player. Anyone who's loose enough to defend their BB unconditionally will play past the flop in situations that a TAG wouldn't...bottom line.

Limping on the button with Ax is pure suicide and I don't care what any books say about it. If you're going to choose not to raise ONLY to compensate for the times you flop an ace and they fold, then I can think of a zillion other 3-outer situations that are suited for you.

If you play your button correctly and your range is big enough to include 75% non-ace hands, then why doesn't this make sense:

If the loose guy folds to an ace-flop 100% of the time, he's making a MISTAKE 75% of the times that you play your button correctly. Wouldn't you want to encourage that?

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM

from my experience the 50/5 guys call down with any pair despite an ace flopping. they also call down with any gutshot and sometimes even peel the flop with nothing.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hate being a jerk, but i want you to stop replying to my threads

[/ QUOTE ]

??? i thought bright's analysis was right on the money.

[/ QUOTE ]YIKES!

[/ QUOTE ]

were you going to support your skepticism or just imply you know what to do here by saying "yikes"? i just cannot let it go when someone makes a post this immature...that probably makes me immature too.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...by limping it you are telling them that you dont have an ace and your implied odds go up...

[/ QUOTE ]

The implied odds you gain are less than the money you make from the times you win the pot immediately, the times he folds incorrectly on a K-high flop, and the times you make a pair of Aces and he calls you down with a worse hand anyway.

The "tourist limp" gets more of it's value from its ability to give you a cheap look at the flop than from its deception, I think.

Also, I think the x matters here.

Also, fwiw, I thought Bright's comments in this thread and the other one weren't out of line. Your response was bizarre and innapropriate.

/mc