Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default 77 vs. SB

5 handed. I am at work and don't have stats on the SB but I remember he was one of the more "reasonable" players at the table, but still to loose preflop.

Folded to me on button with 77, I raise SB calls and to the flop:

Jd 8h 9s

SB bets, I raise, it calls.

Turn: 7s

check, I bet it calls.

River: some K(not spade).

check, I bet, it raises, I.....(do I need to even ask?)
Old 11-03-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: 77 vs. SB

What limit is this?

I think betting the turn will only force underpairs to fold. You're only getting extra money out of a pair of Jacks or two pair and they would have 3 bet the flop. I suppose 78 or 79 is possible though unless they're suited I don't think a reasonable sb would call pre-flop. At any rate, there not raising you so you aren't going to loose more than one bet by chekcking thru the turn, and you'll likely save yourself two or gain a curiosity call on the river when they'd have folded the turn.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:39 AM

easy call in my mind. Lots of river 2p combinations. Straight usually raises on the turn.

Krishan
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think betting the turn will only force underpairs to fold. You're only getting extra money out of a pair of Jacks or two pair and they would have 3 bet the flop. I suppose 78 or 79 is possible though unless they're suited I don't think a reasonable sb would call pre-flop. At any rate, there not raising you so you aren't going to loose more than one bet by chekcking thru the turn, and you'll likely save yourself two or gain a curiosity call on the river when they'd have folded the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

His hand is pretty vunerable on the turn.

Krishan
Old 11-03-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His hand is pretty vunerable on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, you'd like to get a queen to fold.

edit: how many hands with a queen in it would call pre-flop and not 3 bet the flop? Only KQ and AQ. The only spade draws are A8s and K8s. AQ will call the river bet UI but fold the river to a turn and river bet so you only gain when an Ace or Queen spikes. Same goes for A8s and K8s. The only time you loose out is when villian has KQ.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
easy call in my mind. Lots of river 2p combinations. Straight usually raises on the turn.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Um. Do you see that hero has a set? I was thinking it was raise, but that it was somewhat close to call.

...?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:13 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Um. Do you see that hero has a set? I was thinking it was raise, but that it was somewhat close to call.

...?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i was wondering after reading the response. it was close, is a 3 bet good or bad? i only called and it kind of felt weak, but i started thinking it was closer than i originally thought.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's closer to folding that 3-betting (still really far away though). Yes I know he has a set.

Krishan
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's closer to folding that 3-betting (still really far away though). Yes I know he has a set.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain your thought process here? The only hands that beat us are ones that involve a ten. T6 and below are not all that likely because of the preflop call. T7-TQ do not seem plausable, as he would have most likely shown a lot more action. AT and KT are definetly possible holdings. Now the hands that we beat: K9, K7, K8, KQ, J9, J7, J8, J9. Granted, some of these are not all that likely because of how he would have had to play. I can't see how you can possibly fold. 3-betting may not be correct, as I don't know if we are beating him over 50% of the time he calls, but I think its close.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see how you can possibly fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say fold. I said I think it's closer to a fold than a raise. I think they are both sufficiently far from calling that calling is easy.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if we are beating him over 50% of the time he calls, but I think its close.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you consider a 3-bet are you thinking about the times you have to call a cap?

Krishan