Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Playing regular poker with you\'re friends, do you help them improve?

If any of you guys play weekly or regular poker games with friends of yours, do you help or advice them on their playing ( telling them not to play K4o ) knowing that it may affect how much money you make, or do you continue to take their money guilt free?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Playing regular poker with you\'re friends, do you help them improve?

I think it depends on how much money (if any) you play for.

Playing any game against people of similar or even superior skill usually results in larger gains in your own skill, compared to someone you have little to no problem with.

[ QUOTE ]
If any of you guys play weekly or regular poker games with friends of yours, do you help or advice them on their playing ( telling them not to play K4o ) knowing that it may affect how much money you make, or do you continue to take their money guilt free?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Playing regular poker with you\'re friends, do you help them improve?

I play dumb. life is all about deception. Anyways people always like the dumb guy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 04:49 PM

I don't offer but I'll help if they ask. The smart ones have figured out that a bad night for me is doubling my buy-in, so they have requested and are getting some tutoring. My rotating home game is friendly (and meaningless money-wise for me--like a $25 buy-in) and much more about having fun than extracting the maximum. Plus, if I can get a couple of them playing well, over the long run I'll be better off if we challenge each other.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:53 PM

Unless you suck at everything in life and have only your home poker game to beat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], helping your friends play better just makes the game more fun. I mean I don't feel ultra-victorious when a newbie friend of mine calls down my AA with Queen high.

Seriously, the stakes in home games (mine, at least) are low enough that I'm not really trying to make money. I'm not trying to lose, but I don't mind trying to suck out a 2-outer every now and then for a chance to rub it in my good friend's face [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. In the long run I'm not profiting monetarily when I pay 2 bucks for a one-in-20 shot at a $4 pot, but I'm playing for kicks.

And I get a lot fewer kicks when I see my buddy sitting and not enjoying himself cause I always take his money. I'm not saying you should dump cash to your friends so that they keep playing, but at least make the game fun for them somehow.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying you should dump cash to your friends so that they keep playing, but at least make the game fun for them somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't play any game competitively with "friends". I have lost many "friends" by "playing" for money at dominoes, chess, backgammon. There is a conflict between "friendship" and money. Money rules more often than not.

That's why I love online poker: You don't even have to watch the face of your "clients".
Old 06-28-2004, 05:54 PM

Not only do I try and teach my friends, I also encourage them to play online once they are good enough. Why? Because the more money my friends have, the more often they buy me drinks.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 06:48 PM

Sounds exactly like my game. They all know I'm doing real well on the internet, and they are all interested in the game. Everytime everyone folds against me, they always ask to see my cards. I usually show em, I dont really care that much. We usually buyin with $5 and play $.20/$.40 so we're all just having a good time. One guy yesterday was trying out a new style, he called it the Sam Farha, where he plays every hand. I was like yah, good idea that might work out well for you. (He's a absolutely horrible post-flop too) Anyways he actually broke even last night so I'm thinking he's gonna be doing this for a while now.

While I dont like taking my friends money, they gotta learn somehow, and I'll help them somewhat, but I'm not gonna lay out exactly how I play to them. Now if I played a bigger game with higher limits, I definitely would never show my cards or give any advice at all.
Ponks
Old 06-28-2004, 07:49 PM

I help my friends. I've even shared this board with one who was really looking to improve and expand his game. If they ever become better than I am, I won't play them anymore... no sweat off my back.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Playing regular poker with you\'re friends, do you help them improv

Ive found that some of my friends that i play with weekly, I have met only through the game. So im not worried about losing their friendship if i often beat them. So even though we are "friends" are motives are still the same: to win. Even though its a semi-relaxed atmosphere, we'll joke around- but the pots can get to a resonable size that you can lose alot of money by giving advice or telling them how you play. However, i agree with most of the responses on here- if the stakes are low enough, it shouldnt matter giving them the odd tip. But remember, they can buy all the books or read all the articles on the internet like you have to become a better player as well.