Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Free Showdown Play with TT

This hand continues to bug me even a few days after I played it, I fear it may be exposing a leak.

Villain has been at the table for about 3 orbits and appears LAG. He is playing a lot of hands (V$IP has been 35% so far, but over just 28 hands this can be misleading) and raising most of them. I have only seen 2 hands of his at SD - QQ and AQs, both raised UTG. It is possible he is running well.

$2/$4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Naphand is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Naphand calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand raises</font>, SB calls.

<font color="blue">Is this a good spot to make the free SD play?</font>

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Naphand [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I am very reluctant to fold this hand with only one suspect overcard on the flop to my TT. I have few outs so would like to try and win the pot on the Turn esp. if I can fold an Ace or hand like KQ. To an aggressive player HU this must look like the perfect steal-flop, on the other hand he must figure I will call/raise with overs like AK/AQ?

Who prefers to have more outs to improve to make this play? Who prefers a flop raise? If so do you check behind the Turn and call the River, or lead-fold the Turn?

When he calls the Turn I really do not think I am ahead, but it is possible Villain is playing a PP smaller than mine.

The donk on the River is ugly. This play is consistent with a player who is trying to re-steal, but he can still have a J and be trying to push me off AJ. It is even more horrible if you give him credit for putting me on AK. Yuk.

Ideas?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Free Showdown Play with TT

i didn't read the part at the end, but this hand seems fine.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Do you call the River donk? My feeling is I need to grit my teeth and call, the pot is 8 BB.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 PM

I think you fold on the river. I generally find that at such low limit games, it is best not to bluff or put your opponent on a bluff.

Your real mistake, IMO, is calling on the flop. You should either fold or raise, depending on whether you think he has a J or not.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 PM

I don't think I want a free showdown here. If I raise the turn, I'm also expecting to bet the river, which seems fine but I don't know how to handle the donk bet.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Are you usually this passive on the flop? Don't you want to raise here to see if he really has the goods? That being said, I like your turn raise. Fold the river, whatever he's donk-betting can beat a pair of tens.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:52 PM

i like the action so far. but i wouldn't make the raise on the turn as a free SD play. my intention would be to bet the river if he checks to me and the last card was a blanc.

on the river you should definitely call imo. you don't have to be right very often and he may still have a pocket pair lower than yours, third pair or a bluff.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:51 PM

It meets my criteria for the FSP because you can fold on the turn if 3bet and value bet the river if you hit your ten. But he counters your FSP by employing the dreaded donk bet!

You still lose the same amount though if you fold. That's why these plays are better when you have middle pair because then you have 5 outs you can hit on the river.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Looks like a misapplication of the free showdown play to me. I'd call his river bet, but I'd also bet the river if he checked.

Rob
Old 08-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Part of the play is that you can fold to a 3 bet or a bet into you on the river. If you can't do that then you can not make this play more profitable than calling down against this opponent.