Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Heads up with a 4-1 chiplead, what would you do?

Ok, so I am sitting at stars heads up in a $50 NL tournament. The difference between 1st and 2nd is only $1600, nothing significant. You are dealt A8s in the BB, your opponent raises 3x bb to 36000 1/4 his stack. He has done this a few times previously and I popped him back and he folded everytime. So anyway my thinking here is small pair or KQ KJ etc. so I push. He flips over 33 and I hit 8 on flop. My friend insists I was wrong to do this even though I won. My thinking is any Ace is pretty tough heads up and even if I lose this I am still in the lead. With the structure the way it is at stars you can't sit around and wait at the end, you have to play aggresively. What would you have done?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Heads up with a 4-1 chiplead, what would you do?

With an Ace, a 4-1 chiplead, and an opponent that has shown a proclivity to fold when reraised, I'd do what you did. I'd like to hear what your friend's resoning would be for doing otherwise.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:43 AM

I know what I did is right, I just wanted him to see some of these so thanks... He says I could of waited for a better spot and I say he is a giant tool that has never won a thing because he is to scared to pull the trigger [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 05:43 AM

In this case, absolutely no question on your move.

Where I think it becomes slightly interesting is against an opponent whom I assess as too tight HU--i.e., he likely has a strong A, at worst KQ, maybe a pair down to 66. AND he'll call your all-in on any of those. Against a player like that I might consider waiting for a better spot. Agree or disagree? Basically, I'm talking about the kind of guy who rarely raises HU but is fairly tough--although I don't see many of those around in the final HU of a big multi...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 AM

I'd think that against a player who's too tight for heads up, you'd want to avoid major confrontations and just pick up pots with little risk.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:30 AM

hello everyone...this is my first reply

A x is very strong heads up. You can wait for better, but better does not always show up. In tournies with increasing blinds/antes you don't always have the time to wait. The risk here is doubling up your opponent, but with his previous history of going in strong then backing off, your chances look favourable. And even if you lost, holdem is about taking chances, and what you did was not on the "stupid" side. Very good move on your part.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:33 AM

Pushing is correct there IMO. Your friend sounds weak tight, which is the worst possible combination for HU.