Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 12:13 AM

Default couple of decisions for discussion

middle stages of online tourney... your stack is ~1500 and blinds are at 75-150. standard raise at the table is 450. You look at AK, AQ, AJ in middle position and it's folded to you. First decision, do you make a standard open raise of 450, or do you open push?

now, for the sake of argument, let's say you made a standard raise and got one caller from late position. Do you push any flop -or- check/fold to a flop that doesn't hit you and push to one that does?

how does holding 77-99, as opposed to ace-big, affect your play here?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: couple of decisions for discussion

hate to, but bump... really would like to hear some responses on this.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:09 PM

Would you say you have a small stack relative to everyone else or a large one (or near average)?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:23 AM

on the smallish side... for sake of argument, let's say average stack at the table is in the 3-4000 range.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:30 AM

at 10BB or less you must tighten up because all-in is your only bet. Why? Because what happens if he calls? Do you see now?

CSC
Old 05-05-2005, 12:33 AM

If the table is generally deeper than I am I push all the hands you listed. If they all have approximately what you have I'll raise to 375 and go from there.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 AM

I will typically make a slightly bigger open to 4x BB to commit myself to the pot and looking for a call. I know I have to make a move and double up and don't mind getting called and taking the chance of letting someone in cheaper. At this stage I'm not loking to just pick up blinds, I need to get a stack to play.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:10 AM

In the middle stages, with the stacks you describe, I think there's a huge difference between big Aces and mid-PP's.

With 77-99 I'm pushing and would gladly take the blinds or get heads up with hopefully a coin-flip.

With big aces, I make a standard raise and don't mind getting called at all. Auto-push the flop regardless.

FWIW, I might dump AJ from MP. Depends on how I feel I stack up against these particular opponents.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:24 AM

What I don't like about this move is that you give your opponents some very favorable implied odds: You have AQ and put in 600. Ok, now you're pot committed. Let's say a big stack in LP is sitting on KJ. Well, he's actually making a good call here, because the rest of your stack is going in regardless. Of course, KJ doesn't know you have AQ rather than AJ or AK. But I really don't like putting the remainder of my stack in on a missed flop that may have hit your LP caller. Also, if BB calls and bets out your remaining T900 after you miss, do you go ahead and call?

Actually, this situation is for me right on the border. I'd also at least consider a limp at that stage with those hands (except AK, I think, where I just don't think I could resist the all-in). If there were antes involved, it would be no question about all-in or fold with exactly 10xBB, but prior to antes, I might sometimes try to just see a flop. If someone raises, then you can also move in (unless they're incredibly tight and you have AJ) and you have your hopefully favorable chance at doubling up.