Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Bass Fishing

ESPN has a regular late-night show called "Loudmouth Bass". They actually analyze past and upcoming bass fishing tournaments and interview fishermen.

Is bass fishing really a skill/art where someone can be demonstrably better than someone else?

Assuming that all "competitors" have equal information and equipment, wouldn't these tournaments come down to luck? I used to do a lot of trout fishing and I can't imagine that once you learn what works for the particular body of water you fish, that one person could really be better than another at it.

I watched part of the show tonight and was shocked to see the amount of money in these tournaments.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Bass Fishing

huge amounts of skill and hard work that goes way beyond "can I put this lure into a two foot circle forty feet away".
Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 PM

What skills are required to be a good tournament bass fisherman? What seperates the best from the rest?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:12 PM

the casting ability I mentioned above is a given, but there's also the ability to read the water, the weather and the changing conditions (basically, predict where the fish will be and what they'll be in the mood to eat). Also, the ability to work the baits in the correct manner. give two guys the same set-up, lure and spot and one will catch fish because of the way he works the lure, while the other may go fishless.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the casting ability I mentioned above is a given, but there's also the ability to read the water, the weather and the changing conditions (basically, predict where the fish will be and what they'll be in the mood to eat). Also, the ability to work the baits in the correct manner. give two guys the same set-up, lure and spot and one will catch fish because of the way he works the lure, while the other may go fishless.

[/ QUOTE ]

All these reasons. Also, patience. As well as vast amounts of planning for the immediate future, and knowing what to do when certain situations arise. If two people had exactly the same equipment, competetior A may be better then competetior B because he will know when to switch techniques, what to switch to, and he will already be ready to switch. Competetior B may think this is not working what should I do? A is already switched and going on with his plan. Time management is a huge factor. Being ready in advance for any condition is a necessity.