Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Hand that\'s been bugging me from the PP 34k last night

We're past the bubble and down to 150 or so of 2000. My stack is below par and the blinds are an issue.

I still have some FE though BB has not been afraid to defend in the past with a decent holding. I have been stealing blinds with some regularity from SB and have never been called. UTG just moved to the table.

I *think* I made a major mistake on how I played this hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (10 handed) converter

MP2 (t24867)
MP3 (t18562)
CO (t18892)
Hero (t11823)
SB (t2872)
BB (t23108)
UTG (t14368)
UTG+1 (t17475)
UTG+2 (t17401)
MP1 (t8398)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1500, all fold to hero who....?

Should I have folded, called, raised, or pushed?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Hand that\'s been bugging me from the PP 34k last night

Fold.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM

Fold.

The alternative is push. If you have been stealing regularly from any position, your raise is unlikelyto have the credibility you want.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

The alternative is push. If you have been stealing regularly from any position, your raise is unlikelyto have the credibility you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wanted to push here to try and pick up enough to keep myself a factor. I'd been stealing the blinds when the opportunity presented itself, but I hadn't been doing it every round due to limpers or raises before me. I didn't really contemplate a non-allin raise because it might allow UTG to think about reraising all-in to try and push me out. I really didn't want a showdown. I thought about a call briefly to try to see a cheap flop with position, but didn't like enticing BB to try and squeeze us out (which is what I would have probably done from the BB with two limpers, a decent stack and a decent hand).

I thought about it quite a bit and then then decided that I'd thought about it too long and folded.

After I folded, I felt like I'd just opted to try and stay alive rather than accumulate chips.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Calling is bad. Raising less than all in is bad. That leaves us folding and pushing.

Now I'm all about accumulating chips, but pushing here feels wrong for a couple reasons.
#1: The small blind at t2800
SB will be looking for a hand to go with, and if you push he could get heads up on a 3:1 call. Pushing a hand like A2o needs some fold equity to be profitable, and Mr. SB kills that.
#2: UTG limping with <10BBs
He just moved to the table so he doesn't know you've been stealing, but without some read on UTG as a habitual limper, I don't like the looks of it. It might not be a monster, but it could still be a 99 or AJs hand that he's not folding.

There's a difference between playing weak tight to stay alive, and making a good fold to not piss away chips. Here we're in the latter case, as you can find much better spots.

Kings
Old 07-11-2005, 12:29 PM

With 7XBB you're in bad shape but you can still do some damage to someone's stack. No one has a great stack at this table, and there's likely to be some donkey-gambling. I'd shift gears and play snug (for me that means folding a6s in MP).
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM

You have to fold here.

Party poker (no antes) rewards waiting more so than other sites. Also, you are in great position to either steal the blinds or pick up a real hand before you have to pay another round of blinds. If you dont, push the first time it is folded to you in the following orbit.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:26 PM

Clearly..Push or fold. I'd opt to fold here, but you should be looking to push in the next 10-20 hands.

BTW- Even considering calling is terrible because the only good flop for you is 2 2 x. An ace high flop is likely no good for this hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM

you've gotta fold because your all-in raise has to fold out the SB, BB and UTG...he didn't limp in UTG with something real bad most likely...he'd probably call a perceived steal attempt.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:49 PM

F
O
L
D