Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Driving to Vegas from LA friday evening, will it suck?

I work in Corona CA, which is at the 91/15 intersection. So at 5 pm on Friday I plan to hop on the 15 and go north. Is the 15 heading to Vegas going to suck at this time?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Driving to Vegas from LA friday evening, will it suck?

I live in riverside and know this area well, all freeways are gonna suck at that time on a friday. youll be stop and go going up the pass. your going to slow down at the 15/60, the 15/10, the 15/210, and the 15/215, its going to not be fun. Id try like hell to get off at least by 330 and hit the road. if you can you might as well wait till 6-7.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks. Any recommendations as far as getting a cheap flight?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 PM

I haven't done the drive in over a year, but they were working on expanding the freeway last time I did it.

I lived in the IE for a while and like other responder said, its going to suck that time of night. The real problem is that it never fully clears up. Everyone leaves on Friday evening for a Vegas run. You're going to hit all the LA folks that left at 3:00 as well.

I hope that the fwy expansion makes things better once you get over the summit, but not sure.

Good Luck!
Drive Safe!
Have a good time.

OH, cheap flights - check Southwest airlines web site, check america west web site, check travelocity and expedia web sites. Doubtful that you'll find anything <$200 at this point though.

FishNChips
Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 PM

It's not worth it to drive from LA - Just fly Southwest from LAX - also check out JetBlue from Long Beach - southwest.com jetblue.com. The time and hassle saved by flying makes up for any marginal difference in expense - and you don't need a car once you get to Vegas anyway.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:17 PM

For sure wait about 3 hours and leave at 8pm. It might still be sluggish in areas but it will be 100x better and probably make the drive seem like it took less time.

Im driving out there friday night too from OC. I wont be leaving till like 8ish for this reason.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:45 PM

it won't be too bad, as you're already out of L.A....when I used to make this drive, it always sucked getting out of L.A., but traffic always cleared up by the time I hit the 15.

Now if you're driving back on Sunday, THAT will suck.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Traffic always stinks going up to Vegas on a Friday night.

I have Friday off anyway...so I take off at noon on Fridays. Its still a bit of a hassle, but not death.

I really recommend if you are driving from LA to Vegas on Fridays, to take off the day, or go in at like 6am, leave str8 for Vegas at noon(pack the car Thursday evening), using a couple hours of vacation.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:59 PM

It's gonna be bad...I still live in the LA as my permanent residence and it would suck even worse.

Let me give you a tip...don't leave until after 10pm. Come home from work, relax, eat, shower, tell the hotel you're checking in late, and drive with no traffic in the evening time.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:34 PM

i have to concure, a few months ago I left around 11pm, got to state line in 2 hours. vegas was 30 min away.