Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Sanity Check

Hi jen,

Call. You played it well. I realize that since you posted this hand, you probably got shown some hand with the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but that's how it goes.

I just about rule out JT based on this:

[ QUOTE ]
He seems to know how to play postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true he would've definitely raised either the flop or the turn. Oh, well. I hope I'm wrong and you won.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Results

Villain bets [$4563].
Heroine is all-In [$2231.54]
Villain shows [ 9c, Ac ] a flush, ace high.
Heroine doesn't show [ As, Ad ] three of a kind, aces.

Thanks for the replies. I had just gotten a ton of beats before this hand, and I was wondering if I was still playing correctly at the time or if I had gone off the deep end...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just about rule out JT based on this: He seems to know how to play postflop. If this is true he would've definitely raised either the flop or the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless Jen plays LAG (which doesn't seem to be the case), her pf raise made it seem like she was most likely holding AA/KK, maybe QQ/AKs. So then, why do you think a LAG (who plays well post-flop) wouldn't be willing to play a hand like J10 against hero's "advertised" range of hands?

Theoretically speaking, villain should have raised on the turn if he was holding JT, but if he knew hero most likely had AA/KK on that board, then why couldn't he slowplay it until the river? Especially if he knew hero would probably call what-seemed-like-an-overbet-bluff on the river.

I could also see villain playing suited Aces, like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], this way as well since he check-called the flop, and again when he picked up more outs on the turn.

In summary,
JT - more likely
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-Q/J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - somewhat likely
hero winning this hand - not very likely
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Results

gross
Old 08-24-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Results

Write down the villains name and track her/him down in the future [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm sure it'll be well worth it!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 AM

Hi Richie Rich,

Being born into great wealth has hurt your poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Unless Jen plays LAG (which doesn't seem to be the case), her pf raise made it seem like she was most likely holding AA/KK, maybe QQ/AKs. So then, why do you think a LAG (who plays well post-flop) wouldn't be willing to play a hand like J10 against hero's "advertised" range of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

He would. But if he plays well post-flop, he would realize that she likely has a very strong hand on this board, which would make her likely to call a raise when he has the nuts. Further, her hand probably has many outs against the nut straight. Opponent likely has strong 2nd best hand + Free card is dangerous + Big Pot = Don't Slowplay.

People who play well post-flop know that the default line when you flop Broadway is to play it fast, especially against a pre-flop raiser.

In summary,

JT- not likely at all given no flop/turn raise
Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]- Possible, though if Villain plays well, he should realize he's drawing only to a flush on the turn (no other likely outs), so he should fold for 1500 with only 2K left in jen's stack. If he had a J or T with the clubs, then it's a call.
Probability of jen winning- Not great, but probably above 25%, which means a call is right.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 PM

Get your entire stack in by the turn. If villian has j-10 you still have a redraw. With that kind of board there is also a very good chance villian will call your all-in with a worst hand a very high % of the time.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get your entire stack in by the turn. If villian has j-10 you still have a redraw. With that kind of board there is also a very good chance villian will call your all-in with a worst hand a very high % of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot Limit Hold'Em
Old 08-24-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh well, sorry jen i miss read the post. you played it fine and had a tough decision but should probably fold against most players. but perhaps should have checked on 4th against an agressive player that would likely bluff on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold getting 3:1 on a river call with top set? Against a LAG who is representing a running flush?

I don't see it, I would call for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about Ray, but I said fold based on this: Villain bets [$4563]. Looks like she had substantially less than that left, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, as the river bet gets bigger then the fold gets better.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Richie Rich,

Being born into great wealth has hurt your poker.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He would. But if he plays well post-flop, he would realize that she likely has a very strong hand on this board, which would make her likely to call a raise when he has the nuts. Further, her hand probably has many outs against the nut straight. Opponent likely has strong 2nd best hand + Free card is dangerous + Big Pot = Don't Slowplay.

People who play well post-flop know that the default line when you flop Broadway is to play it fast, especially against a pre-flop raiser.

In summary,

JT- not likely at all given no flop/turn raise
Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]- Possible, though if Villain plays well, he should realize he's drawing only to a flush on the turn (no other likely outs), so he should fold for 1500 with only 2K left in jen's stack. If he had a J or T with the clubs, then it's a call.
Probability of jen winning- Not great, but probably above 25%, which means a call is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love you cero z