Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Default I think I fold too much

This is one of the leaks I need to plug as I move up to more aggressive games. A hand I just played is a good example:

I raise on the button with 88 and get called by 2 bad players.

Flop comes KQx.
Bad player #1 bets and #2 calls, and I fold because of the board rather than the players.

Turn and river are checked down and a jack high wins.

Most examples aren't this extreme. Usually it's something like I have a middle pocket pair, a picture card hits on the turn, and someone bets into me.

I obviously need to fix this leak and start calling down or raising more. Any suggestions on how to get into this frame of mind?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: I think I fold too much

This fold is fine. Don't be results oriented.

You need a much better hand to overcall.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This fold is fine. Don't be results oriented.

You need a much better hand to overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that hand is a bad/extreme example, but I still think I have a problem with this.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:01 AM

Hello!

I have had the same problem as U have. I think the main problem for you is that you look too much at the cards, and too little at your opponents. It would be foolish in the situation you described to call, so your desicion was the right one there. What I think you should do, is to focus more on what your opponents do at the preflop play. If you have a good, tight preflop-play, you can variate your games much more. To play tight doesn't mean to fold every time you don't get AA, but rather to use your position oa. to set pressure on the opponents. I have been in situations with "bad players" when they went all-in with every hand they got, and eventually you'll kick their sorry a**** with a monster hand... One thing is for sure; they will respect you when you got all their money. In these situations it is not a bad thing to fold many hands, and play ultratight. My experience is that even the most loose players realize when they have to think it over when after such beating.
I am not a very experienced player, but I have played a lot of freerolls, and there you very often run into players that don't care if they win or loose, so that's my source [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Also you should read the posts and articles written by experienced players posted on this site...
Old 06-06-2005, 06:56 AM

Yes, this fold is fine.

However, your subject is about more aggressive games. In aggressive games, you have to play FEWER hands due to the fact that you will be put in stickier situations than in passive ones.

There is nothing you can do on your first example but fold.

Therefore, you should be playing stronger hands that you can remain aggressive with. I think one of your problems might be that you are playing more marginal hands preflop, finding yourself in weak situation on the flop, and having the fold them.

Make sure to adhere to the rules about position, preflop calling standards (especially do not cold call in aggressive games with marginal holdings such as 99), and playing tighter in aggressive games.

Your problem of folding too much may not be a problem at all on the flop and turn. It may be more of a problem of preflop choices, as well as flop choices.

Remember, to go to the turn, you want correct pot odds, and never forget to factor in reverse implied odds and that river bet.

Anyways, with the information given, I can't say much more. In the second example, it really depends far too much on preflop and flop play to determine where you are on this hand. A real example would be a great help.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 AM

I'm just likie you. I'm FARRR Too tight of a player. I usually only play a made hand, or a hand that's great and has potential to be the nuts.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:54 PM

I feel your pain. Some quick thoughts...

1) Pay attention to how you are running. If you have made a couple folds after raising big cards observant players will be ready to run at you.

2) Keep in mind that better players are more aggressive on the flop, when the bets are cheaper. You must be willing to play back at them in the right spots.

3) Many of your folds are likely just fine. Don't let the results bug you too much, each hand and each street is a separate action.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 AM

That's not a bad fold. A bad fold is folding AA in that same situation with a QQx board.