Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Good fold or weak tight?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG ($29.95)
UTG+1 ($24.50)
UTG+2 ($22.75)
MP1 ($36.25)
Hero ($30.90)
MP3 ($24.50)
CO ($41.90)
Button ($35.75)
SB ($83.10)
BB ($9.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $1.5</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1, UTG calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($6.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button calls $5, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($16.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($16.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $26.25
Old 09-08-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Good fold or weak tight?

I have a tendency to be TAG, but a little TOO aggressive post-flop sometimes. That said, I would have bet at least the pot on the river. The Q almost certainly scared him, and you will look like either the T helped you or you were trying to CR the Q. By checking both, I think he has you pegged as having a pair under T or high card only. His bet there was likely a bluff.

It's doubtful he has a 3, as the only thing he would have played for a raise PF with one is 33. A bigger raise PF would have driven any 3 out, and you would have had no worries about a set/quads.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:34 PM

Your first call preflop is fine, I would have reraised instead of the second call preflop. This is a little more aggressive.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:58 PM

OK, say you reraise (to what $4?) preflop and get called. Flop comes as before. I'm pretty much pot comitted for all my chips at that point right?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:59 PM

I based my comment on this

[ QUOTE ]
It's doubtful he has a 3, as the only thing he would have played for a raise PF with one is 33. A bigger raise PF would have driven any 3 out, and you would have had no worries about a set/quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have folded preflop to the reraise. If he cold calls, I would assume I'm already beat. Nines out of position are tough...

It looks to me like he's still fishing on the turn with a check. So where could you have been more agressive? preflop

Someone else mentioned his bet on the river was probably a bluff. This is what your original question was about, right? Did he view you as weak?

So you reraise preflop as a semibluff, protecting your hand with your chips and looking for information too!?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:17 PM

When he called my pot sized bet on the flop I feared he had an over pair bigger than mine yet maybe feared I had a 3 so he didn't raise me. Is this monsters under the bed thinking? Should I have fired again on the turn? I felt like I had to slow down on the turn. What hands could he have possibly had on the river that I could beat? AK or AJ are the only two reasonable ones but would we call a pot sized bet with just overcards on the flop??? He seemed like a fairly solid player from watching him play during the session.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:27 PM

I think you should have open-raised with your 99. That way if the button reraises you know where you stand. I don't think you can limp-reraise with 99, they're just not strong enough and you're out of position like a mother. That being said, your opponent didn't show any strength on the flop, so there's no reason not to make a decent sized bet on the turn. If he had a queen why wouldn't he bet the turn? He could have decided to slowplay the queen but that's unlikely. Maybe he put you on a 3 and decided his queen wasn't good but that's even more unlikely because you called his pf raise. Another possibility would be QTs. I think he probably made a button raise pf with a hand like ATs, KTs, QTs or JTs because noone showed any strength preflop.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
noone showed any strength preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:33 PM

So the conensus is I was probably beat on the river so the fold there was good but I misplayed the turn by checking? I should have fired what into the pot on the turn? Another $5..$10? If I fire $10 I might as well go all in. If I bet $5 and I'm called again, then what? Check, call the river? Check, fold? Fire again on the river? Damn this no limit stuff is tricky.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:47 PM

i like limping the 9's and calling the raise. i really don't like a limp-reraise here, as then you might get reraised big and be forced to fold, which could make you miss out on a chance to flop a set against an overpair.

i like the flop bet.

checking the turn is fine, but i'd call the river bet. realistically, he could have an overpair, AQ, a missed heart draw, AT (?), or missed overcards like AK. if i were villain here, i would bet with any two. give him a call. you only have to be right 1/3.6 of the time.