Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 PM

Default fold a boat against LAG?

I have villain here as 49/30 over 150 hands. He raises liberally pf, but isn't stupid.

UTG limps, villain raises from co. I 3-bet with TT on button. SB calls. BB folds, UTG folds. Villain calls.

Flop: K55. UTG checks, Villan bets, I raise. UTG folds, villain calls.

Turn: 5. Villain bets, I call.

River: A. Villain bets, I call.

Should I have folded the river or done anything else differently?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: fold a boat against LAG?

No way. Smaller pair way too often.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 12-24-2005, 01:17 AM

Posting blind:

Don't fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we think that villain often has a smaller pair, then shouldn't I be raise/folding the river?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:08 AM

Might be smaller 99,88, maybe 77 (he raised preflop); might be bigger... I wouldn't raise, but I wouldn't fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we think that villain often has a smaller pair, then shouldn't I be raise/folding the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Even if Villian is retarded, he'll call the raise with kings over, 3bets with aces over, but fold most of the time when he has underpairs. If you make a decision to fold to every threebet, you're tossing two bets in there with the chance of only winning one.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. Even if Villian is retarded, he'll call the raise with kings over, 3bets with aces over, but fold most of the time when he has underpairs. If you make a decision to fold to every threebet, you're tossing two bets in there with the chance of only winning one.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when he says way too often, he means more often than the pot odds dictate... not that it's >50% of the time, which you would need to make this a raise/fold play (you'd need even more than 50%, but it's never less than 50%)... he has a K or A way more often than a lower pair.

Fold turn?
Fold river?
Raising the turn probably isn't good because if you're making a free sd raise, he'll donk if he improves with Ax, so you don't get anything out of that.

You just got the worst river card. I guess villian sees the turn as a good bluffing opportunity, making it hard for you to call without a K. This could be 98s as often as it's a lower pair.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And when he says way too often, he means more often than the pot odds dictate... not that it's >50% of the time, which you would need to make this a raise/fold play (you'd need even more than 50%, but it's never less than 50%)... he has a K or A way more often than a lower pair.

Fold turn?
Fold river?
Raising the turn probably isn't good because if you're making a free sd raise, he'll donk if he improves with Ax, so you don't get anything out of that.

You just got the worst river card. I guess villian sees the turn as a good bluffing opportunity, making it hard for you to call without a K. This could be 98s as often as it's a lower pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why you're replying to me but my main point was that a raise has nothing to gain. So just call on every street.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:05 AM

In regards to the whole raising the river line:

I think this would be a fine line if the river wasn't an Ace for a number of reasons.

1) This card sucks and puts you behind alot.
2) The villian if he has 66 or some small pair there is a larger prob. he will fold it.

I think a river raise would be a great line with most other cards.