Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of no-ante 7 Card Stud?
Excellent. 7 18.42%
Nothing wrong with it. 9 23.68%
Horrible structure 22 57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Stanley Williams, and the Death Penalty

Stanley "Tookie" Williams is one of the two founding Crip members back in 1971. He was put onto death row after being convicted in four murders. Since his convictions he has transformed himself into someone who has been nominated for Noble Peace Prizes. A lot of those nominations were likely just to get attention to the movement of trying to stop his execution.

He has been a strong figure in trying to reduce gang violence, and has written many children's books to try and teach children the negativities of gang life.

He is set to be executed sometime in December.

To those for the death penalty, is putting this man to death so he receives his punishment, and is used as an example for a deterrent, more beneficial then continuing to allow him to live in prison and work towards ending gang violence.

I realize if you dont execute him then everyone on death row, who does not want to be executed, will try to act as a changed person to stop their own execution. So, I guess that would be a valid reason to still execute him. But, I guess if anyone has any thoughts on the issue, because it will probably get some attention in the coming month or two. I guess Snoop Dogg is having a rally this weekend or something in Cal.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Stanley Williams, and the Death Penalty

[ QUOTE ]
Stanley "Tookie" Williams is one of the two founding Crip members back in 1971. He was put onto death row after being convicted in four murders. Since his convictions he has transformed himself into someone who has been nominated for Noble Peace Prizes. A lot of those nominations were likely just to get attention to the movement of trying to stop his execution.

He has been a strong figure in trying to reduce gang violence, and has written many children's books to try and teach children the negativities of gang life.

He is set to be executed sometime in December.

To those for the death penalty, is putting this man to death so he receives his punishment, and is used as an example for a deterrent, more beneficial then continuing to allow him to live in prison and work towards ending gang violence.

I realize if you dont execute him then everyone on death row, who does not want to be executed, will try to act as a changed person to stop their own execution. So, I guess that would be a valid reason to still execute him. But, I guess if anyone has any thoughts on the issue, because it will probably get some attention in the coming month or two. I guess Snoop Dogg is having a rally this weekend or something in Cal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people on death row acted as changed people and started writing children's books, wouldn't that be a valid reason NOT to execute them?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 AM

OP forgot to mention he still claims to be innocent. Funny stuff.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP forgot to mention he still claims to be innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's right I forgot to put that in.

I should have reworded this too.
I realize if you dont execute him then everyone on death row, who does not want to be executed, will try to act as a changed person to stop their own execution. So, I guess that would be a valid reason to still execute him.

The last sentence should have been something more like: I am assuming this would be one of the arguments for those who would still invoke the death penalty.

I did not mean that his execution will, would, won't, or wouldn't be valid. I know thats what I typed though. That was just one of the main arguments I had thought of.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I realize if you dont execute him then everyone on death row, who does not want to be executed, will try to act as a changed person to stop their own execution. So, I guess that would be a valid reason to still execute him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand. Isn't this a reason NOT to execute him? If everyone starts acting like a changed man, isn't that a GOOD thing?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't understand. Isn't this a reason NOT to execute him? If everyone starts acting like a changed man, isn't that a GOOD thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Inasmuch as the function of the death penalty is revenge, then the answer to your question is "no".
Old 11-21-2005, 09:59 PM