Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Absolute is buying my computer

In a previous thread I detailed how Absolute contacted me (pretty much out of the blue) and wanted to pay me a small fee for my time in efforts to help them figure out why AP pretty much won't work on my computer.
It's a problem that a few others have had...but that most obviously do not have.

I later reported that I talked with their tech guy who was very nice and professional and we tried out a couple of things...I told him what kind of CPU readings and other such stuff I was getting on my computer, etc etc.
They thanked me for my time.

Here's the update:
They were trying to re-create the situation where I get insanely high CPU readings just by opening one table there. It seems to be some sort of issue with memory and I know a few others have had it.

But I guess they are having a difficult time re-creating the problem on their test-computers.

So on Friday they contacted me again and offered to BUY ME A NEW COMPUTER if I ship this one to them.
Even though it only effects a minority of players they seem to be determined to figure out what the deal is.

I told them that this computer cost me around $1500 back in Jan, 2003 (Inspiron 5100) but is certainly worth less than that now.
They agreed to forward me the $1500 for my new computer purchase. They obviously understand that it's not exactly worth it for me to just get another Inspiron 5100.

I have since selected one of the groovy Dell 9100's with the 17" screen at 1900x1200 and am obviously excited about it's arrival.
The cost is almost right on $1500 after the coupon (at first it cost more but I went back and tinkered around a bit more).
...although the 40GB hard-drive is now kind of scaring me after reading the other thread about the importance of a better hard-drive so I might contact Dell and adjust the order for a better hard-drive (can someone PLEASE explain to me if it's REALLY important for me to do that....or if it's something I can just purchase later..Thanks!!).

Anyway, I told them which system I was getting.
They said, "Great. We have transferred $1500 to your neteller account. Get us your old computer as soon as you can."
Indeed...the $1500 is already in my neteller account.

They have agreed to let me hang onto this until I get the new one. I'll have lots of passwords and pokertracker and pictures and other crap to e-mail over I guess...but for the most part I'll be sending it to their tech-guy in Korea right-away after I get the new one.

In short - I am simply amazed that they would take this step. They keep thanking me for helping them with this....which I think is kind of funny since THEY are the ones buying ME a new computer.
Obviously I should be thanking them which I am.

I also mentioned to them that if my understanding of online-poker rake-structures and profitability is correct then they will probably make back their $1500 eventually based on my upcoming play there.
I am currently completely unable to play at AP on my computer now....but my experience with their support has been so great that I will certainly not be bashful about giving them more of my play in the future.

This has been a pretty good week.
My spanking new FREE television from Empire for 25k points arrived yesterday (it's VERY nice. I like it a lot).
And today I ordered my spanking new FREE computer from Dell courtesy of the good folks at Absolute.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Absolute is buying my computer

this is AMAZING!

honestly, i'd love to play at absolute - but when i have 3 tables open it messes up everything on my comp (tweak ui goes nuts and no window can be brought to action)

i'll agree that absolute and stars interest me with their support alone
Old 06-08-2005, 02:51 AM

I'm going to have to start playing at Absolute. This blows my mind.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:58 AM

wow this is incredible. what made them trust you with the 1500$? just your name from these forums? im very impressed that they are so customer friendly, that seems very unlike most of the poker companies.

anyway, congratulations on nabbing a crappy computer. i wish i could figure out why gametime+ wont work on mine. maybe someone will take this thing off my hands for a cool grand. ;P
Old 06-08-2005, 02:58 AM

The difference in performance when not using resource heavy programs will be slight except for at boot (something like 15% faster) and running PT. While you don't really need to upgrade, I would call them and do so. 40GB, in terms of capacity, is enough for a lot of people and a joke to many others. If this is your main computer, you may come to regret the small size in the future. Laptop hard drives are expensive.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 AM

From the first two replies it seems others are having the same reaction to this that I am.

Perhaps the positive publicity among 2+2'ers will result in increased play there worth more than $1500 (plus...they'll have my computer that they can tinker with all they like to try to fix their software bugs).

Compare this with the Partypoker mentality of, "It's not US...It's YOU!!"
Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 AM

This is true customer service right here. I'm simply amazed as well. Glad I'm clearing my $300 bonus right now sans rakeback.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 AM

thanks for the explanation.

yes, this is my main (re: only) computer.
It is primarily used for poker.

I have had some performance issues with PT and GT+ so I'm going to go with the 80GB hard-drive.
Should this be enough?

As was detailed in the other thread....it looks like the super-high performance hard-drives aren't available on this deal.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have agreed to let me hang onto this until I get the new one. I'll have lots of passwords and pokertracker and pictures and other crap to e-mail over I guess...but for the most part I'll be sending it to their tech-guy in Korea right-away after I get the new one.

[/ QUOTE ]
If there's a lot of stuff to transfer, it'd probably be a good idea to get a crossover cable. That way you can link the two computers and do a direct transfer, instead of e-mailing everything separately. I got mine for around $10 or so when I got my new computer.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what made them trust you with the 1500$? just your name from these forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's probably it for the most part.

When they first offered to 'buy me a new computer if I will ship them this one' I thought, "Well...how is this going to work?"

When I wrote them back I offered to deposit and leave $2k or so in my AP account UNTIL they received my old computer.
But evidently they don't think that is necessary.

I also thought it would have been completely fair if they just transferred the $1500 to my AP account but wouldn't allow me to cash-out until they had my old computer in their pretty little hands.
I suggested this to them as well. And I told them that wouldn't be a problem for me financially to tie-up that much money for a few weeks.

He just took the iniative on his own and must have received approval to just skip the process of putting the money in my AP account.

Once I sent them a link of the computer I had purchased they decided that was good enough and they just sent me the $1500. I never expected them to send it to me right-away like that.

Because Dell takes some time to build the computer to specifications they say it won't ship until June 22.

The guy at AP was a bit disappointed to learn that...and said to 'order it as soon as possible because they REALLY want my messed up computer as soon as I can get it to them.'