Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Ideal ratio of 1st : 2nd : 3rd finishes?

Wondering what you think is a good ratio for these finishes? Obviously we all would want 100% : 0% : 0%, but that certainly is not possible. So what is a "good" percentage of your finishes for the total amount of SNGs played?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Ideal ratio of 1st : 2nd : 3rd finishes?

13/12/12. holla
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 AM

Higher 1st % means you need less 2nd and 3rd but I suppose if you have lots of 3rds you dont need as many 1sts. It depends on your style, i dont think there is an "ideal" distribution. Whichever one will get you the highest ROI. But like if you are getting a ton more 2nds than 1st you might suck heads up and lots of 3rds could be a little too crazy ITM.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
13/12/12. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

or that
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 AM

Haha aight, I dunno if that's a serious number or not, but thanks! Do most of the best players have lots of 3rds to get in the money, then gamble for 1st? Or do they take big risks on the bubble so they make it into the money less but have more 1sts?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 02:42 PM

i tend to play fairly aggressive on the bubble for more 1sts because of the obvious amount of more money for 1st
Old 12-14-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i tend to play fairly aggressive on the bubble for more 1sts because of the obvious amount of more money for 1st

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. ITM it's usually push or fold, so you should just get all the +$EV pushes, and fold the rest. You're not going to make -$EV pushes, right? So how can you play more aggressively than normal or whatever?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. ITM it's usually push or fold, so you should just get all the +$EV pushes, and fold the rest. You're not going to make -$EV pushes, right? So how can you play more aggressively than normal or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between a +0.1% and a +0.8% (or whatever number you choose) push.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM

FWIW, I don't shut it down like a lot of people at the bubble. My ratio (only about 200 SNGs to date) is about 35:25:22:22. I'm not sure if I can keep that up over the long run.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, you can play to just slip ITM and then take your chances there, or you can play more aggresive on the bubble to take command with the goal to come ITM with a nice healthy stack and take #1 more often than you take #2 or #3. The more aggresive style obviously has higher risk but if applied correctly should give you more money. The more passive way offers less variance but also probably less $$$.

Atleas thats what I think he meant :S