Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Are you a proven winner? Please help.

I am in need of someone to help me improve my game. I normally play online, usually small stakes tourneys ,or ring games of 2/4 or 3/6 limit. I recently played a few NL ring games, but got creamed. One of my problems is that I am so inconsistent. For a month or two I win, only to blow whatever profit I had in a relatively short losing streak. I have read a few books, watched everything I can find on TV and read on 2+2 everyday. I think I am grasping the overall concepts, but I tend to do stupid things that cost me. I don't have the knowledge to figure out what I'm screwing up. I've seen a few posts here where people suggest finding a good player that would be willing to coach, whether that's during live play or just reviewing hands, I'm not sure. I am sure that I need help. I want to get better and will work to do so, I just need to know what the heck I'm supposed to work on. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Are you a proven winner? Please help.

Well more info. is needed first. You need to find out what the gaps in your game is. If you just go on massive losing streaks here and there, you may have a propensity to go on tilt. If this is the case, you might want to look into reading a "Zen" like poker book that helps you deal with tilt, or just set a limit for yourself and quit a session if you lose a certain amount of Big Bets.

Is your problem in NL or limit? If NL, then you should be posting it there to improve, not in the SSHE section.

My best advice is to post your Poker Tracker stats up here and someone may be able to see any glaring holes (too loose preflop, not aggressive enough, etc.). But the main thing would be to constantly work on YOUR game. Read books that might be applicable to what you are playing. In this forum, the most applicable would be SSHE. Commit yourself to learn the CONCEPTS behind everything. You have to be able to understand WHY you are supposed to make a certain play before it is second nature. And start treating each session as a learning session. Take notes if you have to. If there are any hands that you have questions about, post them up here. You say you read 2+2 every day and you read books, but sometimes it is difficult to translate concepts from other hands to your own game. If you can see mistakes that you, personally, have made, it will be much easier for you to correct them in the future to improve your game. I hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM

Thanks Cappy. I don't have Pokertracker, but from what I've seen here, I need to get it asap. That might assist me in identifying leaks.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:03 PM

Do you own SSHE? If not, buy it immediately and read it 2 or 3 times. Play .50/1.00 until you're confident you're crushing the game over a significant number of hands (say, 10k?), then move to 1/2 for a while, then 2/4, etc. Check out the micro-limit forum and try responding to posts with your thoughts to see if you're on track. Post hands of your own, listen to the feedback, and you'll be on your way.

In addition to SSHE, I recommend these books:
Theory of Poker
Psychology of Poker
Inside the Poker Mind
Zen and the Art of Poker

Good luck.