Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

[ QUOTE ]
He did red-shirt. I think the generally consensus is that he will leave for the NFL, but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I knew they were talking about that during the games on TV. But the bio on the ND website just says he did not see any action as a rookie tight end.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He did red-shirt. I think the generally consensus is that he will leave for the NFL, but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I knew they were talking about that during the games on TV. But the bio on the ND website just says he did not see any action as a rookie tight end.

[/ QUOTE ]
He will almost certainly be gone next year. While he's a great player, he's not as big a loss as some people are letting on because TE is one position that Ty actually left in pretty good shape.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Christ give it up with the Stanford game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the way ND fans should give it up with the USC game?

b
Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their best receiver hasn't played all year, and will be back next year. Quinn will be back, as well as Darius Walker, I believe.

[ QUOTE ]
One recruiting class does not turn a college football program around.

[/ QUOTE ] It certainly has the potential too. So does a really good coach.

You sir epitomize a true ND hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, 1 season doesn't make a coach.(neuheisel(sp?) would be considered a genius by that criteria also for his first years at Colorado and UW) We'll find out in a couple years just how good he is. However, he also has the benefit of being at ND. Which will always be able to recruit players just on name and history alone. USC also has some of that going for them.

You want to talk about a great coach? Spurrier taking over SC is a better story, imo. In fact, I have more respect for the coaches that go to smaller, crap schools and turn them over into up and coming powerhouses. Erickson at Oregon St/Wyoming(or whatever that other small school was. maybe Idaho?)/WSU was another good example.

b
Old 12-01-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that to. I am trying my best to forget that game.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 PM

ND does not deserve a bowl game and anyone who thinks they do likes them way too much. Obviously USC, UT, PSU, LSU, VT and WVU will get a spot. For the next two oregon and ND pretty much have had the same schedule except Oregon is 10-1 and ND is 9-2 so Oregon had a better year. OSU and ND are both 9-2 the loss to texas and the lost to USC cancel out and then OSU's loss the PSU is much better loss than ND's loss to MSU. Frankly if it was any team but ND we wouldn't even be discussing this but since there Notre Dame they think they deserve special treatment. Intersting side note if Georgia beats LSU this week what bowl should they be in considering there only losses where to Florida which they clearly would have won with Shockley and Auburn which the came extremely close to winning.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 season doesn't make a coach.
However, he also has the benefit of being at ND. Which will always be able to recruit players just on name and history alone. USC also has some of that going for them.
n fact, I have more respect for the coaches that go to smaller, crap schools and turn them over into up and coming powerhouses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this Bernie.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1 season doesn't make a coach.
However, he also has the benefit of being at ND. Which will always be able to recruit players just on name and history alone. USC also has some of that going for them.
n fact, I have more respect for the coaches that go to smaller, crap schools and turn them over into up and coming powerhouses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this Bernie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about respecting those other coaches more, and I don't think Weiss is hands down coach of the year or something. But the part about ND recruiting is wrong. ND does not always recruit well. 2005 sucked, but you could say it was cuz Willingham got fired. but 2004 sucked too. Its true that their prestige helps, but it has died off in recent years. Weiss has definitely had a positive effect on recruiting so far.

All in all, I don't think they have any more of an advantage than schools like Texas, which has the advantage of recruiting so many players from the high school football factory state that Texas is.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the part about ND recruiting is wrong. ND does not always recruit well. 2005 sucked, but you could say it was cuz Willingham got fired. but 2004 sucked too. Its true that their prestige helps, but it has died off in recent years. Weiss has definitely had a positive effect on recruiting so far.

All in all, I don't think they have any more of an advantage than schools like Texas, which has the advantage of recruiting so many players from the high school football factory state that Texas is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did weiss recruit that is playing this year?(honest question) Did he bring in any of these breakout players? When was this 'quality' team recruited?

But basically you don't think they have any more of an advantage than any other top 10 team at the moment. Fine. Except while the top 10 changes, ND will still be able to recruit more consistently nationwide than any other school.

ND has a bigger audience/fanbase nationwide than any other school. They are the most visible team in college football throughout the season, nationwide. They also get more money than any other school since they don't have to share it with a conference. This also helps in recruiting.

The scholarship cap also affected ND as it affected other 'big' schools. But they will still always draw quality players whether in a down year or an up year. That doesn't necesarily mean that the quality players will play well together for whatever reason.

b
Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people do this? You put it in your head that ND fans won't get over this game because that's how you "think" that they would act because of your bias. Go back through the thread and count the times an ND fan has used the USC game as a positive (or bitched about the loss) and then count the amount of time an ND hater has mentioned the Stanford game as a negative? Still wanna make the comparison?