Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Default I cannot beat .50/1 (a confession)

It makes me sick to even say that, but the reality is that I consistently hover around -1bb/100 at .5/1.

Before this I had beaten 1/2 for around 2.8bb/100 @ 80,000-some hands. I had beaten 2/4 for around 2bb/100 @ 20,000-some hands. But about a month ago I had a "real life" emergency that took the majority of my bankroll and left me with just enough to play .50/1 and get back to my bonus whoring roots as I built my bankroll back up to a sufficient 1/2 or 2/4 level.

Right out the gate I was losing at .50/1, usually hovering (as mentioned) around -1BB (on average). I have weathered many downswings in the past (10,000+ hands), so I just sucked it up and continued to play, despite the glaring red now in my PT. 5,000 hands went by, still losing. 10,000 hands, still losing. At 15,000 I began to look at my game, maybe I had/ had not made certain adjustments. I studied my books that had served me so well at other limits and tried to play as well as I possibly could. I got to about 21,000 hands and was still losing when my PC fried on me (unrelated obviously) and had to be sent back to HP to be repaired (losing all data) this gave me 10 days to study (I was already very familiar with in SSHE, HPFAP, Top, etc.)

I bought King Yao's new book, and really studied like I never have before. I filled almost an entire norebook with odds problems, EV problems, etc. My computer was returned last weekend and I began playing again with renewed vigor.

I AM STILL LOSING AT .50/1!!!!

This sickens me because many of you beat this level for 3,4,5+bb/100, and I cannot even maintain a positive winrate. I am expecting many flames because of the utter patheticness (is that a word?) of this post in general, but really for the first time my confidence has been shaken and I am doubting myself. I just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else has experienced this or something similar and had some advice.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: I cannot beat .50/1 (a confession)

You fucking suck you little GIRL!

Even my LITTLE SISTER can beat .5/1.

Take out your tampon and START PLAYING POKER LIKE A MAN!!!

That ball was OUT!!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 PM

It's pretty rare when an OOT gimmick account makes it over to the micros.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:22 PM

Does anyone have any constructive comments?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:24 PM

I've heard .5/1 has tightened up. Try the .5/1 6-max.

Also, you will beat the game if you were beating 2/4.

I never did really beat 2/4 full for much, but I pwned the crap out of .5/1.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard .5/1 has tightened up. Try the .5/1 6-max.

Also, you will beat the game if you were beating 2/4.

I never did really beat 2/4 full for much, but I pwned the crap out of .5/1.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, tightness is NOT the problem.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes me sick to even say that, but the reality is that I consistently hover around -1bb/100 at .5/1.

Before this I had beaten 1/2 for around 2.8bb/100 @ 80,000-some hands. I had beaten 2/4 for around 2bb/100 @ 20,000-some hands. But about a month ago I had a "real life" emergency that took the majority of my bankroll and left me with just enough to play .50/1 and get back to my bonus whoring roots as I built my bankroll back up to a sufficient 1/2 or 2/4 level.

Right out the gate I was losing at .50/1, usually hovering (as mentioned) around -1BB (on average). I have weathered many downswings in the past (10,000+ hands), so I just sucked it up and continued to play, despite the glaring red now in my PT. 5,000 hands went by, still losing. 10,000 hands, still losing. At 15,000 I began to look at my game, maybe I had/ had not made certain adjustments. I studied my books that had served me so well at other limits and tried to play as well as I possibly could. I got to about 21,000 hands and was still losing when my PC fried on me (unrelated obviously) and had to be sent back to HP to be repaired (losing all data) this gave me 10 days to study (I was already very familiar with in SSHE, HPFAP, Top, etc.)

I bought King Yao's new book, and really studied like I never have before. I filled almost an entire norebook with odds problems, EV problems, etc. My computer was returned last weekend and I began playing again with renewed vigor.

I AM STILL LOSING AT .50/1!!!!

This sickens me because many of you beat this level for 3,4,5+bb/100, and I cannot even maintain a positive winrate. I am expecting many flames because of the utter patheticness (is that a word?) of this post in general, but really for the first time my confidence has been shaken and I am doubting myself. I just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else has experienced this or something similar and had some advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey. you'll beat .5/1.
nothing is fundamentally different between .5/1, 1/2, and 2/4. though there are subtle differences, if you are a winning player at 1/2 and 2/4 you will win at .5/1.

Maybe you are trying too hard to build your bankroll up as fast as possible. Really start over, like when you began at .5/1, single table if you have to.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:54 PM

I would suggest heavy data surfing, tho obviously if your PC is fried you no longer have the HH database... so, uh, without any way of reviewing your play, I guess your only option is to keep studying and see if your results turn around soon.

You could look at the hands that you've played since you got the machine back. 1000 is nothing, really. Wait til you have 5000 hands to review.

What was your initial hand distribution like? Did you get a lot of premium hands or not?

Based upon a 5000 hand database, you should have gotten about 294 pairs, about 23 of each. How even were they distributed (too many 22 not enough AA)? Were you getting them in useful positions? Note that on average you're only getting each pair twice in each position, which is obviously going to be subject to a huge amount of variation -- from 0% to 300% of the expected value. How often were you raised behind when you limped up front? Note that the results are gonna say something like "I got middle pocket pairs in late position 17 times, but only VPIP with 10 of those." How often did you get to the flop with pocket pairs? How often did you hit sets? This number will be 31 at most, if you went to the flop with every pocket pair. How many of those sets held up?

You can do the same analysis with other premium holdings (AK, KQs, etc), suited cards (like Axs), or whatever else.

If you've really absorbed the lessons to be found in books, forums, and hand review, then you should find statistical anomalies in this data -- like an absurdly low number of hit sets combined with an unusually high number of them not holding up when you put in a lot of money with them.

More difficult is finding out if you're playing one-pair, two-pair, and high-card hands well...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified

Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was uncalled for!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:58 PM

As much as i hate to post stats, here they are if it helps. -- Keep in mind that I lost my old HHD and this is only since the weekend)