Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 PM

Default WHADELSEYAGOT(tm) . .. the essence of omaha high low!

Ok, most of you here, are not yet familiar with Adam the Expert. First off, you should know that EVERYTHING about ATE is totally original. Like me or not, at LEAST I come up with my own STUFF. Like my original, term

WHADELSEYAGOT(tm) This term, is the very essence of omaha high low, especially ESPECIALLY pot limit.

Friends, the fact of life in omaha is this: Anytime you have only one hand, REGARDLESS of what it is, it's not going to make you much profit, at best. At worst, you'll lose money, possibly half your stack, EVEN WHEN IT's a nut hand.

Hey, wait ATE, what if I have KK, and flop quad kings? won't that win!? Yes, it will, but you won't likely get much action on it, hence the notion of WHADELSEYAGOT(tm)

The object in omaha8 (or any poker game, for that matter) is not to win the pot, but to earn value for your hand.

In omaha high low, the big BIG money is made, when there is a low on the board, and you have BOTH. With high-only boards, there is not nearly as much action, and if anyone
calls, chances are that they ARE drawing live.

But, with a low board, if you have the right hand, very often you'll have people drawing DEAD, or at least be freerolling (Ed note: "freerolling" is a term that means that you have ZERO chance at getting nothing, but some chance of getting EVERYTHING, or in the case of omaha high-low, the lion's share: 2/3, 3/4 or the occasional 5/8th's)

Yeah, you snotty brats who think you know everything, there ARE newcomers that read this site, so ATE tries to explain terms that might not be familiar to them, so don't friggin' comment that I defined "freerollin'"

Oh, by the way, you do NOT always need some BIG high hand, to make a huge profit. Sometimes, with the right board and against the right opponent, a tiny pair, can be worth hundreds of dollars. THIS IS NOT a complete course in omaha high low, ATE would have to go over hundreds and hundreds of specific examples to teach that. Just know, that the very essence of omaha, is WHADELSEYAGO(tm)

Do youLike an A2K Q, with a flop of 3 4 5 and two diamonds that you DONT have? Well, the minute there's any big action, you are looking at getting a fraction of the pot, possibly as little as one sixth.

Think that your flopped straight is good, even if there's no low, and no flush draw . . . THINK AGAIN. As ATE said,
Without a redraw, or a combo high low hand, you do not have any significant power.

This of course, means that you should be looking at your starting hand, and assessing it's potential (or lack thereof) to make a big two-way hand. Hands like A2s J10, while playable, are not the big winners in omaha8, as you cannot make a straight and a low. If you make the straight, the only people who are gonna be in there . . . .

are those who

(1) can beat you

(2) already tie you.

In a pot limit game, ATE would not even play that hand, if great strength has been shown before the action gets to you.

Anyway, Since I am the top expert in the world, by far, in the matter of omaha, I'm not gonna get into a complete course here. I gotta save a few things, for my books.

I just wanna get y'all thinkin' in the right way.

Here's another ORIGINAL ATE term:

"two way, or NO WAY"

learn it, know it live it

Adam, the helpful and highly-irratating genius of poker, and the number one authority in the world, BY FAR in the matter of omaha.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: WHADELSEYAGOT(tm) . .. the essence of omaha high low!

[ QUOTE ]

Adam, the helpful and highly-irratating genius of poker, and the number one authority in the world, BY FAR in the matter of omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be even more irritating than Phil H., but anyway a question:

What about one way hands like KQJ10 double suited. Only one way, but looks good. Any advice?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 PM

If you had played any pot limit omaha high low at all you would know that any As/2s has the potential to win a monster pot, specially after a big raise when you know someone has A/A. So your theory on As/2s/J/10 being unplayable, is one of the most insane things I have ever heard.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:03 AM

Dont you hate it when retards try to be know it alls?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 AM

You clearly are sup bro's brain-damaged wannabe distant cousin. Please do novice poker players everywhere a huge favor and offer no advice.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 AM

"Two way or no way." I understand this. However, if I play this way preflop, then I'm going to be out of a lot of pots. Furthermore, when I do play I won't get a flop to my liking most of the time.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 AM

is this guy serious? like really? i thought this kinda stuff only happened on the SS forum?

p.s. you cant trademark gibberish letters.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:54 AM

Decent advice from Mike Caro poker forums' most irritating poster. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome ATE.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:57 AM

Sorry ATE@ [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 08:22 AM

Not particularly original, except in the self-promoting hyperbole mostly valid. There are a lot of good articles which distill all of this in much greater detail without trademark gibberish and self-glossing.

If you really aspire to write a good book on this subject-- PLO8-- which is badly needed, you need to learn how to write in a more style than doesn't sound like a late night television commercial.