Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 11:07 PM

Default When They Open-Limp on the Button

In smaller games, it's usually an unsophisticated player who has a pretty good, but not great hand.

In the bigger games, it can either mean the above or a trap.

40-80. There's a pretty wild player in the game. He's limping about 2/3 of the time, and then limp-reraising about one out of every three times he's limped. The only times he is raising right away is when he's in late position and everyone else has folded. Post-flop, he's loathe to throw a hand away, but he's not a totally unthinking player. There are a few walkers (and indeed, walking has increased since Commerce went to a rake instead of a time collection) and he has the button on my big blind.

Everyone folds and he limps. The small blind, expecting a raise, looks like he is folding, then sees he has only limped, and calls. I look at my first card and see it is a 2. I check.

Flop is A-A-2 rainbow. Small blind checks, I bet and button calls.

Turn is a 4 completing the rainbow. I bet and button raises. I look at my second card, which is an 8.

Call, raise, or fold?

Old 04-20-2004, 11:22 PM

Default Re: When They Open-Limp on the Button

[ QUOTE ]
since Commerce went to a rake instead of a time collection

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, no! does that tighten the games up? because i have experienced an raked 20-40 game and it was tight as hell, but maybe it's just foxwoods, or maybe i was just there on the wrong day...

but i think it definitely benefit a tight player like you tho...

Kenny
Old 04-20-2004, 11:27 PM

If he saw an ace or pocket pair in his hand he would have popped your blinds pre-flop (probably).
Think the best play is just to call him down, you might be giving him a free chance to beat you on river by not raising turn but he'd call another bet anyway so if he beats you, he just beats you.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:30 PM

It should tighten the game up, but it hasn't, at least in my limited experience since they went to the rake. skp told me the games are unbelievably good at night; his opinion is to be respected, so it would appear there's been no tightening up.

And yes, as Rick Nebiolo has pointed out both here and in response to Speed Racer on RGP, the new policy favors the nits.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 PM

Based on your player description, I'd lean towards him having a big hand. I'm assuming he tends to open-raise from late position a lot, so I'm sure they are not all quality hands. When he just calls on the button, he wants more than the blinds on this hand. I fold, next hand.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a 4 completing the rainbow. I bet and button raises. I look at my second card, which is an 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

The image of you "re-"checking your hole cards on this board amuses me -- I think it important you do this slowly and with a very serious expression. I wouldn't bet the flop/turn and I'd fold here.

PS. I assume the punchline is that you had him outkicked.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:25 AM

hi andy
it doesn't look too good. it just looks like he's slow-playing pre-flop, like he wants customers. why doesn't he steal raise? i just don't like it. you shouldn't have bet the flop this one anj. i'm very scared.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:06 AM

Default seat selection

i would not even consider continuing with the hand on the turn nor would i have bet the flop. it's an easy check-fold on the flop and it's not close. you need to take into account the size of the pot. if youre going to tell me you flopped aces up and you were trying to build a pot, dont bother, were paying attention this time.

seriously it really bums me out that you would waste $40 on the flop here and then $80 more on the turn although it's really on the flop with the bet that you lose control of the hand. sounds like some of the button's wildness rubbed off on you. sit further away from him next time.

the broader picture: a weak new player to our 20-40 down here openlimped on the button today, the sb folded, and i had had my back turned ordering food. the dealer said it's your option and i asked who's in wincing at the tiny pot he had in front of him, a pot that was about to lose $4 down a bottomless hole as soon as we saw a flop. the dealer said just him and pointed at the button. i scowled and said "limping in on the button?!" with hatred and disgust in my voice and then raised without looking at my cards. so that's how i think button openlimpers should be treated: with complete contempt like the trash they are.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:09 AM

It's hardly ever a trap and almost always two cards below 9.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:43 AM

This seems like the type of player who would be aware of the fact that you are a tight player and if you noticed the SB looked like he was going to fold, the player noticed, too. It looks like a dab of peanut butter, on a piece of metal in the attic, to me.

Even if I’m wrong and he limped on the button with a couple wheel cards, he now most likely has a better hand than yours now and it will be hard to wrestle the pot away from him.

I can sort of see the stab at it on the flop, but the turn bet I can’t.

This only looking at one card before you act seems like an interesting way to play, but I’m pretty sure you’ll have better results, over time, if you look at them both.