Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Re: When to show your hand

I disagree with the main reasons for showing cards,

Firstly showing bluffs, a tight image rather than a loose image is preffered for SNG's as you won't get cards all day and the bulk of your chips are won from blind nicks. Sure you might get more action on that AA, but that AA can be quite shy and likes to stay in the deck most of the time, rather not need em.

Secondly showing you've got the goods after a couple of nicks with a genuine hand. This is the only real time I give opponents at Party credit for a semblence of intelligence, they ain't gonna think after 5 blind nicks when you show your pkt Q's that you had similar strength hands every time. If anything they'll think that this show means that the previous 4 were in fact pure nicks with nowt.

And as an afterthought anytime you show your cards it draws attention to yourself, thats bad IMHO. The less your opponents think about you the better.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Keep auto muck on. There's no reason to give away priviledged information.

How do you feel when a guy never shows? Hard to really confirm a line on his play isnt it? You ever notice that feeling of relief you get when someone shows you their hand when they dont have to? Why give them that feeling? Leave the seed of doubt and let it fester.

b
Old 04-02-2004, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I don't have much respect for my opponents play

[/ QUOTE ]

And your goal for showing your hand to this type of opponent is?

[ QUOTE ]
2) I'm getting too much/too little action on my bluff/monsters

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise/lower your betting standards. You dont have to show your hands for this. There are much better ways of adjusting than showing your hands.

b
Old 04-02-2004, 10:57 AM

Why not show when you only have to? Then they can wonder, if they finally called you and you have nothing, just how many pots you've stolen earlier. I've found this leaves a much longer lasting impression than just showing one hand.

How do you think when a guy who just went on a big run, showing down little, and he finally gets to showdown and has nothing? You'd likely call this player much more, wouldnt ya?

b
Old 04-02-2004, 01:38 PM

I will occassionally show an uncalled hand in live play at a B&M. But I never show when playing online for the simple reason that I beleive when playing in an online environment, any information you can get on an opponent or they you is far too valuable. I think most 'good' players online are taking full advantage of the note taking features on most sites and those notes are forever. There are very few people that I play against in a B&M who I think are going to remember I stole there BB with 92 6 months after. The same can't be said when playing online.

My .02,

Bubbagump
Old 04-02-2004, 03:02 PM

It is a shame though, online poker doesn't have the facility to muck face up when you think you know your opponent has you beat, i wouldn't do this either but my opponents would giving me more information as to how they play
Old 04-02-2004, 03:20 PM

I very rarely show hands; the exception being when it is folded to me in the BB (I do the same thing in live poker). It doesn't give away any information, and it is something to keep everyone entertained =)

If I am getting NO action on my big hands, I MIGHT show an uncalled bluff, but that is extremey rare. I might show the rare loser when the winner REALLY sucked out, but that is even rarer. I am usually too busy screaming obscenities [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 03:47 PM

Never show cards online.

It is very difficult for most people to watch nine faceless online opponents and develop individual pictures of their playing styles. Most players focus (often unconsciously) on at most two or three interesting people. The rest are gray blobs who attract little notice unless they do something striking.

Don't do anything to be colorful or attract attention! You don't want to be the one everyone notices. They won't just remember the cards you show, they will also remember a lot of other stuff that could have quietly passed by.