Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 01:56 PM

Default \"Pot Committed\"

I don't quite understand what "pot committed" means. I know it has to do with how much money you've already put in the pot. I also notice the term used mostly in no-limit. And how does it relate to "pot odds"?
Thanks.
Still learning,
PY
Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Re: \"Pot Committed\"

Basically it applies to when a pot is so big in relation to your stack, that you absolutely have to call if someone puts you all-in. When its a bad thing, its often called "Pot Stuck" I believe. I'm not a NL player though so maybe someone can give you a better definition.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:41 PM

CrackerZack is very close. It has to do with the size of the pot, in relation to the size of your stack, and the odds that you're gonna win. Do a forum search for "pot committed"...this exact question has been asked several times in the past 2 weeks.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:02 PM

the words pot committed are just basically used in general. if you have 2000 chips and make a bet of 1800...your not going to fold for your last 200...
Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 PM

That example is a little vague.
A better one would be...

You and your opponent both have 5000 chips. You have KK in LP and raise it to 1000 before the flop, he calls from the BB.

Flop is all undercards and he bets 1000, you min-raise to 2000. Turn appears to be a brick. He checks, and you bet 1500 to lure him in (not the smartest move, but it's for illustrative purposes), he calls.

River is an Ace -- not the card you wanted to see. While you'd be happy to check it down, your opponent bets his last 500...you've got 500 left. Do you call? There's already 9500 in the pot, and it would only cost you 500 to call. With pot odds offering you 19:1, and the chance that your opponent is playing a lesser hand, at this point you're pot committed...even if you're 90% sure that your opponent has an Ace.

Make sense?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:36 AM

I believe it means that the pot becomes so big compared to your stack that you cannot fold for any additional bets. For example, the blinds are 100-200 and you have a 700 stack. You have a hand with which you would normally make a raise of 600. Well, you might as well go all in because no matter what flops you will call an additional 100 bet. Your 600 raise makes you pot committed.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-14-2004, 07:37 AM

It's a more useful concept when used prospectively, rather than in present tense. E.g. "I can't call that raise because if I do I will be pot-committed."