Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Popping the question

What is the generally accepted modern practise for asking a girl to marry you? From TV, I had always assumed that the guy went out and bought a ring, then proposed to the girl who would be utterly astounded, and stammer out a yes(or no). Reading the thread earlier, many people were talking about how they discussed with their fiance which ring they would be buying. There doesn't seem to be any element of surprise, and it is all planned out before hand.

For everyone who is married now or plans to get married soon, how did you or are you going to go about it? I suppose it would help if you included the year in which this happened, as traditions may be changing. Also, include any other details such as did you discuss with her father first, etc.

I'm only 19, so I don't plan on having to do this anytime in the near future, but I feel it's an area where I should be knowledgeable.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Popping the question

I'm pretty sure you get a ring to give her when you pop the question, then an engagement ring which is discussed mutually? I have no clue yet.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you get a ring to give her when you pop the question, then an engagement ring which is discussed mutually? I have no clue yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the engagement ring is not the one you give to her when you propose?? Now I am even more confused. I thought you give her a really fancy engagement ring when you propose, then at the wedding ceremony, wedding bands are exchanged. Is there a 3rd ring I'm not aware of?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:20 AM

all i know is, if i ever ask this question, it's going to be more of a "yo, you wanna do this thing?" kind of scenario.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:23 AM

No clue man, sorry. I thought that's how it worked [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Maybe I should learn for the near future..
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No clue man, sorry. I thought that's how it worked [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Maybe I should learn for the near future..

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, what do parents teach us kids these days
Old 11-15-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all i know is, if i ever ask this question, it's going to be more of a "yo, you wanna do this thing?" kind of scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing how much truth is in this statement.

I'd be interested to see how many people got married before they were 100% ready/never wanted to but did anyway.

A poll on the subject seems kinda lame nonetheless.

PG
Old 11-15-2005, 01:29 AM

I think that if you've been going out with a girl long enough that you would be considering popping the question, she probably would have, at some point, mentioned what type of ring she'd want to get, so pay attention to that.

As for traditions changing, I think that many women find something romantic about a kind of old-fashioned engagement (i.e. asking the father first, making it a surprise, etc.).

Also, I know that chobohoya got engaged late last year, so he might have some particularly meaningful insight if he decides to respond.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, what do parents teach us kids these days

[/ QUOTE ]

Rings aside, I'd be sure and ask her parents beforehand. +EV.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its pretty much a given with my girlfriend and I, and we are just waiting until we have some money squirreled away.

On a side note, I absolutely despise the whole diamond industry and tradition of somehow proving my love with an incredibly expensive rock. Two months salary? I think not. Given that my girlfriend is not a money-grubbing whore, but isn't a hippy either, is there any way I can get out of buying a ring?