Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:12 PM

Default raising pf for less than a standard opener?

are there times that this is warrented? I only raise for my standard opener (pot sized opener) currently but I just wanna be sure.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: raising pf for less than a standard opener?

I don't like doing it because I want my standard raise to always be the same...that way I get action with my larger hands.

The only exception I can think of is if i'm lagging it up and i've made some crizazy preflop raises with bluffs and shown them, if I catch a monster i'll make another larger than average preflop raise and get action.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Meh. What do you mean......A MinRaise?!? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I usually do the same every time. Although, PFR'ing for more is something I do from time to time. Example being: win 2 straight uncontested pots where you made a standard PFR (especially if I had to use the 4xBB+1BB per limper in there, because most don't know that that is standard, and see it as raising more), and then get dealt a premium hand the third hand. I usually raise it up more because people think you are running over the table like a maniac and you get more play.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:49 PM

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but if I'm playing live, and a game that was pretty juicy starts to tighten up, I will sometimes play "fun guy" and min-raise preflop after several limpers to sweeten the pot. It gets everyone laughing, and then other people usually start doing silly thing (most of which can be profitable for me). Essentially this just raises the blinds for a couple of hands.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:02 PM

I have found that by min raising preflop on button or cutoff with a good drawing hand (JTs, etc)is a cheap way to build a large pot. Knowing that everyone who has called before me will indeed call for another bet.

Mike
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM

4xBB + 1BB/limper seems to be the standard for PF Raising.

I always raise to 6xBB at the $50 NL Party tables for a couple of reasons:

1) I take down more pots on the flop with (larger) continuation bets.

2) There are always loose players who will call 6xBB because they want to "catch a hand" against my "monster".

So, if you can, on average, be going into the flop with both a) more money in the pot and b) callers whose hands are of equivalent value, why not raise this much knowing that you can outplay them postflop?

Any comments...