Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Playing in the WCOOP main event

Last night I managed to survive one of the Stars super satellites to gain entry to the O8 Main Event on Wednesday. I felt I played well in it, a little more aggressively than I'm used to but I also got quite lucky at times. Considering I'm a $1/2 player (+3-4BB/100) with fairly limited tourney experience, I'm looking for some last-minute tournament strategy advice.

The sort of things I'm looking for is:
o what sort of hands that would normally be considered marginal would be good for stealing blinds from the CO or SB? What about defending the BB?

o At what point regarding stack size to blind ratio should I start loosening up my starting hand requirements and/or bringing weaker hands in for a raise?

Hell, should I just sell my W$ for a guaranteed ~$500? Right now there's a big overlay in the tourney. 206 entrants, pays the top 27. Lowest payout gets 0.7% or $1750. Should I expect MUCH better competition/more aggression in the Main Event vs. the super sat?

TIA
Old 09-11-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Playing in the WCOOP main event

In all honesty, maybe you should have thought about all this before you attempted to qualify. You wouldn't find me entering a rally driving competition just because I passed my driving test, so why enter a tournament then admit you're not good enough?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty, maybe you should have thought about all this before you attempted to qualify. You wouldn't find me entering a rally driving competition just because I passed my driving test, so why enter a tournament then admit you're not good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I entered using FPP, which I don't really have a use for so figured it'd be a cheap way to take a stab at it.

Nonetheless, I think I have a reasonable shot at the money. I just think the luck factor is simply huge.
In the first satellite I had to finish in the top 17/177. In the super, it was 9/332. How much can be attributed to skill vs. luck? I felt totally charmed when my stack was getting low and the BB was coming around to me. I'd get a great starting hand, raise PF and get usually one caller. Then the board would hit me perfectly. My A3 would bring a board of 257. I don't think my lows ever got counterfeited.

I even scooped a pot with A3JQ vs AA3K (Board: 74JTK). Does that make me a good player? When I got cards worth pushing, I pushed and they held up.

So I'm faced with the decision of taking a sure (smallish) profit vs. rolling the dice at a potentially big score. My gut's telling me to play, cause I think I'd regret passing up this opportunity. But at the same time, there's the option of pocketing a sure thing over what sometimes seems like a coin-flipping contest.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 AM

How important would 500 be to you? Hope comfortable would you feel playing in a tournament of this size? I think you could easily be a favorite against the field though. There are probably going to be a lot of donks.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How important would 500 be to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2005, 09:23 AM

Run out and buy a copy (and read) Harrington on Holdem both volumes. This will give you an edge in tourney play over a typical O8 cash player.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How important would 500 be to you? Hope comfortable would you feel playing in a tournament of this size?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not terribly. That also has been a driving force in favor of playing. But of course I'd miss it if I bust out 2 hours into the tourney.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you could easily be a favorite against the field though. There are probably going to be a lot of donks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt there will be a lot of them. though I think something can be said for playing against sensible opponents versus idiots who play 85% of hands and hit lucky cards. In the super sat, there seemed to be people just giving away their chips with some incomprehensibly bad play which was critical in building a decent stack midway through the tourney.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:44 AM

I would probably sell the entry, but I'm a nit.

You paid nothing to get where you are, so you have nothing to lose, right? If you intend to compete in tourneys with similar buy-in's in the future then the experience (knowing what to expect from the competition) and the potential confidence boost may be worth the $500.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM

When you're learning the game, confidence is very important, your mental attitude is vital. Coming out with something to show for your play is definately going to help you. Take the tournament dollars.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Isn't the experience of playing in a large tournament with nice payouts "something"? Or does the "something" you mention have to be money? You are talking about hm learning the game and such and even mention confidence and mental attitude. So why bail out and miss out on the experience - which he needs. Doesn't make sense to me.

Play the tournament - have fun - pay attention and learn what you can.