Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Default PLO8, bare AAxx question

Pre Post DISCLAIMER
I'm aware that most situations require knowledge of the table and players and any advice is highly dependent on that information.

This is kind of a general question and its something I struggle with somewhat but how do play AAxx preflop when neither are suited and your low is bad (4-7). An example hand might be
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Assume you are in EP (UTG)?
1. Is it worth while to raise 3x-5x BB preflop to narrow the field or at least identify the solid hands?

2. Assume flop comes up something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 3 callers preflop? Do I bet or check?

3. Assume flop comes up something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 3 callers preflop? Do I bet or check?

Just looking to glean some tidbits from the more experienced players.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: PLO8, bare AAxx question

The ace of spades adds a lot more value to your hand than you will ever know. People know not to draw to a non nut flush. You should bet either flop hard until someone gives you a reason not to.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've had mixed success with that technique under #3 above because some lows just won't drop and then I get stuck after the turn and river where my AA hasn't improved or worse the flush draw hits but I don't have it and now do I bet from EP what may be a losing hand or check which shows a lot of weakness?

With option #2 above, its a bit easier because anyone who's calls is probably sitting on a str8 draw or a set and can be pushed off easier if the flush hits and doesn't pair the board.

One of the weaknesses in my game is overplaying AA in general and just how to play AA from early position.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM

I agree with betting the flop here.

Put the callers in a difficult situation right off the bat.

I find this works in limit O8 also.

Dave
Old 09-12-2005, 06:17 PM

If you're going to raise PF, raise the max; however, from EP (UTG especially) I prefer a limp-reraise attempt.

If you cannot get the reraise in PF, then on a one-to-a-low flop you can check and evaluate when the action returns, and on a two-to-a-low flop you can pot it. If you do get the PF reraise in, then I'd pot on the flop given either board.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 PM

Clearly you are one of the players that overvalues AA, and that's fine; I make a lot of money off players like you. Any decent player will call your reraise preflop with a good starting hand, taking the rest of your stack on a good flop, folding on a bad one. Of course, I play at the $2k level; the play is so bad below $1k that this strategy very well might work (although it seems likely to be less effective than flop-based play).
Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I play at the $2k level

[/ QUOTE ]
We are all very impressed.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I play at the $2k level

[/ QUOTE ]
We are all very impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love more posts from higher stakes players.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 AM

Nice early post--kudos on the condescending tone. How would you play this AA here?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:42 PM

With the two high card flop, I'd be inclined to check-raise the flop (assuming good competition). I would only get called by top set, which would be rather infrequent. The fact that I have the As makes a big draw not terribly likely. Also, the check-raise makes me a little more money than if I pot it and everyone folds.

The question for you is: what's your plan if (as is likely) someone calls your pot bet on the flop? You are first to act again on the turn. The range of hands your opponents have is undefined.

On the two-to-low board, I'd check-fold to a pot bet.