Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Anemic teenage ghostboy hand

Full 1-2 game at Commerce. Some kid who looks about 17 and weighs about 105 pounds and is so pale he's nearly transparent just got into the game on my right. I saw him put in a lot of bets with a pocket pair & some overs on the board against a loon and at the showdown his hand was good. I think he's probably a decent player. People were talking about him like he's new on the scene -- and he's hanging out with his buddy who looks like the Shermanator from American Pie and also playing 1-2. Button in this hand is clamoring to get a 300-600 game started and appears to be playing reasonably well.

All fold to the button who open raises. Anemicboy 3-bets. I think he has a wide range of hands here. I look down at AJo and cap. I like my hand and I would like to force the button out. He folds and Anemicboy calls.

Flop: T64 rainbow. Anemicboy checks, I bet, he calls. He's probably got a pair or overcards.

Turn: K completing the rainbow. Anemicboy checks. I check it back to him. I am not sure how many outs I have and I don't really want to get raised off of my hand. I'll deal with the river when I see it.

River: 9. He checks and I check again since I think he'll call with a pocket pair.

Botched? Or just fine?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Anemic teenage ghostboy hand

Looks perfect to me
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 AM

the only hand you can reasonably hope to fold out that you're losing to is AQ and given the turn check check i think its likely you're not going to get him to fold it, so i think the river check is okay.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:23 AM

i like it you have a bunch of outs against a lot of hands on the turn and you really don't want to get cr'ed. but i am not sure what to give him that you beat. there is basillcaly no hand in the deck you can beat so many bet the river. every Ace beats you, all pairs, all kings, you are [censored]. i would just give up, but i guess you could make a case for betting b/c you are so [censored].
dave
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 AM

actually as i think about it i think that the fact that every not pair hand got there makes it a better case to bet the river since if he thinks about it he might fold a PP. just a thought.
dave
Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 AM

wow, what an amazingly standard hand!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:07 AM

you pretty much have to man up and bet the turn. i know you might get c/red but youve represented a big hand by capping preflop even given the steal scenario. all he's done is represented a willingness to isolate the button and see the turn for one bet. you will get a fold from some pocket pairs and AJ on the turn. bet!

btw i think i know the kid youre referring to he's been around awhile and plays well. he will fold some hands here, he prides himself on reading hands well and getting out of trouble spots.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
actually as i think about it i think that the fact that every not pair hand got there makes it a better case to bet the river since if he thinks about it he might fold a PP. just a thought.
dave

[/ QUOTE ]

if opponent has a pocket pair and wont fold the turn, there is 0% chance the villian will fold the same pocket pair on the river given hero checked the turn.

Barron
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM

California HL poker is crazy agg. Okay, maybe all HL poker is very agg, but poker in Cal. is the most agg in the country. (except for the 10/20 O8B games on party)

I might bet this turn here....seems he might throw a better ace sometimes, and if he has a small PP, it might get released too. The river is a check UI though, easily.

Why didnt you bet the turn? Were you afraid of getting raised?

Tex
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Between your wonderful descriptions of the players, and the equally wonderful avatar, it's hard to concentrate on the hand. But I'll try.

I think I'd have bet the turn here. Your flop bet is a given, since you capped preflop. But now that an overcard to the flop has come, and it's a king, and you've represented a big hand, he'd have to at least think about folding a smallish pocket pair here.

Once you've checked the turn, I imagine he calls with anything that beats you on the river, including A-Q, so I would check behind too.