Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-19-2005, 05:05 PM

Default First time staying downtown in Vegas - advice

Hey - my wife and I are going to Vegas and going to stay downtown for the first time - staying at the Golden Nugget because they have a special where you pay for 2 nights and get the third free - so we are spending a total of $150 for 3 nights.

Just wanted to get some thoughts and advice. We usually stay on the strip when we go to Vegas, but this time we are trying to keep our costs as low as possible - also, my wife LOVES the bingo and that's all downtown.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: First time staying downtown in Vegas - advice

well...downtown isn't the nicest but at least your staying at the ritziest hotel in that area.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:31 PM

Golden Nugget is a nice hotel, I've stayed there a couple times. Try the Eggs Benedict in the 24 hr restaurant. Horseshoe and Nugget have good rooms, I think Four Queens has one, don't know what limits you're into but they tend to be lower downtown. Freemont Street Experience is cool. Tournaments are available.

There is a bus that goes to the strip frequently; costs like 2 bucks, stops at all the strip hotels. It leaves from the end of that walk area on Freemont Street; across from El Cortez. Lots of people take the bus and it's in a crowded area, so it's safe (IMO). Cab to the strip is 17 bucks.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2005, 07:04 PM

you prob could have stayed at the imperial palace, center strip, for about the same price if not less.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:54 PM

Good choice on Hotels. I have never stayed at the Nugget but it is suppose to be a 4-Star Hotel. I have stayed many times at the Mandalay Bay which is also a 4-Star hotel. I can't believe they are equal quality, but somebody says they are.

One of the best places to eat in Vegas is in Four Queens:

www.hugoscellar.com

The little cafe upstairs from Hugo's is pretty good too.

Be sure and give us your best "Wow, I can't believe Binion's is such a sh!thole!" story when you return.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:19 AM

California (just a couple of blocks away) has some great cheap eats.

There's Pasta Pirate (yeah, the name sucks, but some of the specials they run are good). Redwood Bar and Grill is a nice room, and they have a great porterhouse special (not on the menu). Won't be the best steak you've ever had, but at $15 or so, including veggies and dessert, it's a price performer).

While you're at the Nugget, if you can pull yourselves away from the tables, I'd recommend Gordie Brown's show. Very reasonably priced ($45/ticket) and a fun evening. They seem to be extending him month by month, and it looks like he's there through December now.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:08 AM

and the imperial palace, center strip, is a sh!t hole compared to the golden nugget.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:52 AM

Make sure you check out the Beef Jerky store at The Plaza... yes, they actually have a Beef Jerky store.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and the imperial palace, center strip, is a sh!t hole compared to the golden nugget.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words have never been spoken. The Nugget is extremely nice top to bottom.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 AM

When staying at any downtown hotel, always bring a dyson vacuum so it wont get clogged when you try to clean all the 7 layers of dust grime and ash lodged in the carpet and upholstry.

Also, try not to veer to far away from the litted areas.

Finally, ask for a room that doesnt look out directly onto the blinking marlboro man.

-J