Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Evidence AGAINST Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

man is perfectly capable of developing different languages on his own

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does the Bible say otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Genesis 10:32 "These are the clans of Noah's sons, according to their lines of descent, within their nations. From these the nations spread out over the earth after the flood."

Genesis 11:1 "Now the whole world had one language and a common speech"

You don't think there is any evidence in other cultures that goes back this far and also shows that the whole world didn't speak one language then? Do you really believe that there is enough time from this point until now for all the other races of earth to have evolved their defining characteristics? You really think that everyone on earth is related to Noah, who doesn't go back all that far in history? Really?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Old 10-31-2005, 04:26 PM

I don't think you've summarized David's case correctly. David has shown how logically clear thinking substantially diminishes the chance that Christianity is correct. This is not based on his opinions; rather his opinions are based on this logic.

On point 2, one thing I tried to point out in my two long posts on Christianity a while back, is that different people's religious beliefs throughout the world show a logical consistency with the circumstances of their geography, history, existence, and method of subsistence. This shows me that it is much more likely that their god was a result of their existence rather than the other way around.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 PM

Heh, shows what I know and why I shouldn't be the one taking on biblical debates.

I also thought God became angry about the Tower of Babylon and caused the people to speak in different tongues so they would not understand one another and this is why we speak different languages today.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does this mean "God will always be just in condemning me, but may be just in rewarding me also"?

[/ QUOTE ]

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus".

[ QUOTE ]

Clearly there are worse Gods who could be invented which did not have grace and would not have allowed their son to die for our sins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. I didn't say the God of the Bible is a bad God. I said He isn't what a guilty sinner would invent.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ducking the issue. The Bible DOES say that differing languages started after the time of Noah and after the Tower of Babel. Who cares that it doesn't say that men may also have created languages AFTER this event (but not before!!). This is your typical method of arguing. You claimed word-for-word truth and that no evidence exists to counter the literal bible. Well, let's start here. Please explain how all language and all races emerged only after the time of Noah.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:33 PM

"We give up the idea of Santa Claus by age 10. Why do we hold on to the idea of God?"

Because we see evidence that the presents come from friends and relatives, rather than Santa. We hold onto God because we don't know where the universe came from nor what happens to us after we die. Ignorance and fear. Ignorance might not be quite the correct word.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also thought God became angry about the Tower of Babylon and caused the people to speak in different tongues so they would not understand one another

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 PM

[quote
Of course. I didn't say the God of the Bible is a bad God. I said He isn't what a guilty sinner would invent.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for appeal to the psyche, a God that probably shouldn't forgive you, but does, is better than a God who just thinks you're great and that you don't make mistakes.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote: