Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 09:26 AM

Default My wife - the fish

Me I've read 40+ poker books in the last 2 years and love making +EV decisions. My wife likes to play poker with me sometimes, and I've gotten her to read some books (TOP, SSH, HOH1&2, few others). We enjoy sitting at tables together. But she thinks playing "winning" poker is boring, so she plays WAY too many hands. I've tried over and over, begging her, PLEASE don't play crap hands in bad position, but its all for naught. I really lost it the other day when she played K9 os UTG, then proceeded to get "lucky" when the board paired so the guy with KJ had to chop the pot with her. She then proceeds to tell me "I would have thought you'd be happy that I won the pot" while I'm wailing about how she didn't win anything but got her $$ back.. etc etc..

So now she says she won't play with me anymore unless I shutup and let her have fun chasing her runner runners and gutshots. Apparently thats what she enjoys, catching long shot draws and sucking out on people. But of course after most sessions she's down then is upset about losing. Its a can't win proposition seems like to me.

Any suggestions on how I can get her to see the light - to be patient for good hands and quit playing like crap? Shes done reading books unfortunately.. I love fish like her in my games I just wish she wasn't one of them.

thx.. Allen
Old 08-26-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: My wife - the fish

Have you tried withholding sex until she agrees to play correctly? Oh wait a minute, then you're the one getting punished [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, live games are really boring, so I understand why people want to play more hands. Whenever I play live, I go a little batty waiting around for hands and find myself having to remind myself to not get too excited when I do get a hand to play.

Perhaps your wife could play online and multitable a bit to keep her occupied and still play the right set of starting hands?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 AM

does she have a job? is she laying with your money?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 AM

Yes my wife is college educated with a nice career, in the IT business. She is fully capable of being a winning player (especially with an eager hubby to give lessons). She doesn't like playing online, prefers to be with real people.

I play a LOT more than she does (online & B&M), and I'm always talking about what horrible opponents most players are and the mistakes they always make.. Then when she does play she makes those same mistakes, over & over. Of course fish get lucky often enough to keep em coming back (look honey I won this giant pot when I caught my gutshot on the river).. oh the horror!

L8r... Allen
Old 08-26-2005, 10:13 AM

To me, the joy of poker comes from the struggle to acheive perfection. I don't know how Zen your wife is, but it's a slightly different argument than winning money.

My uncle likes to put it this way: "I LOVE folding Ace-rag pre-flop."
Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 AM

Just be thankful that you have a partner who shares your interest in poker. Let her have fun and play the way she likes.

My girlfriend plays but not so well. She says its more fun to play than study. I give her advice when she asks for it but otherwise I leave her alone and enjoy playing poker together. She plays out of her own bankroll online but whne we go to a cardroom I stake her and I do it gladly.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 AM

I have a similar problem. Wierdly, my gf is a comlete maniac.

I have a good read on her, which is nice. I can see from the way she picks up her cards that she has already decided to cap preflop. She will quite happily keep raising on a gutshot. It's pretty funny to play against, especially because it's such a rare strategy to see in a begginer female.

We normally play short-handed, so she actually does OK. Better than my weak-tight friends, LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I actually think youv'e got to just sit back and let them enjoy playing their own way. Also, I think it's pretty funny to pwn your g/f.....

Or it would be if she didn't keep capping her runner-runner straights on every street [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 AM

Have her play baby no limit. She'll learn quickly how to tighten up (or bust out.)
Old 08-26-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions on how I can get myself to see the light?....I love fish like her in my games I just wish she wasn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

Lighten up. She plays for fun. If she wants to do it, either relax or tell her do it with her own money. Stop being so miserable about things.

If she doesn't have/make money, tell her she can have $X gambling money per sexual favor. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Count your blessings, friend! My wife wants nothing to do with poker and I can't remember the number of times I've declined an intimate evening to go fishing at Pokerstars.

Just be glad she shares your enthusiasm. Don't tinker with success if she is having fun gamboooling.

Just make sure you play at the same table and take all her money. I recommend sitting on her right and check raising until all her money is in front of you. Of course, if she develops game, all your money might be in front of her [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]