Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Out of practice...Pretty basic, most likely

So, I'm just getting back to playing after a 4mo layoff, and I want to make sure I'm not making any serious mistakes. SB is raising light, the other 3 players are pretty passive calling stations. Raise pf? Thx in advance.

-Jaran

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (18 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 05-27-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Out of practice...Pretty basic, most likely

This looks good. I would probably raise preflop but if you think the SB will raise calling is good too (and this set you up nicely for the flop). If you didn't think SB would raise, it might be worth raising to shut out the blinds.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 PM

I'd raise preflop, and since everyone's in I think that I'd call the flop and raise a turn blank.

Since you describe MP3 as passive, I tend to credit this bet more than most people do. Against someone that I have enough hands with, I'll be able to conclude I'm behind. I still think the turn raise is good in this spot, though.

I think the river bet's okay, with the same disclaimer as the turn. If I strongly suspected that MP3 wouldn't bet without a hand that beats me, I'd just show it down.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 PM

Yes, raise preflop. I like the flop raise because it yields immediate value, as opposed to calling there and watching it get checked to you on the turn.

Turn raise is good - looks like MP3 has maybe a weak top pair and is putting you on a flush draw. He doesn't want to give you a free card. You're most likely ahead, imo, and these players are willing to coldcall with weak hands/draws. I love the raise.

And nice value bet on the end.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:13 PM

PF: I wouldn't raise it, I don't like all the players in the hand. I'd fold it.

Postflop, looks fine, there's nothing too scary out there, you've got top pair with a good kicker and nobody is giving you any resistance.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 PM

welcome back!
interesting hand. I'm a bit out of touch with full ring games, but I think the the pf limp is ok.

after I get all those turn callers, I think I'm taking a free showdown.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:43 PM

LEAK! If one of the limpers was tight I think about folding, otherwise it's either a raise or call. I prefer raise.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-27-2005, 01:52 PM

you probably have a value raise pf, but calling isn't terrible either. in fact, I call.

I think you played postflop beautifully. awesome river value bet.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:57 PM

I don't think I like raising this pre-flop, especially for someone who is out of practice. KJ is too easily dominated and a raise from the button isn't going to thin the field.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Postflop, looks fine, there's nothing too scary out there, you've got top pair with a good kicker and nobody is giving you any resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

You're on the button, and there are plenty of players in this hand. Call. Also, OP has a good read on the players, so he has enough information to make this a safe play.

Also, the fact that he has TPGK all the way through helps. I bet he took this one down.