Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Making of \"Tilt\"

I assume this is the appropriate forum for this goofy looking TV show that ESPN has coming up.

I was late switching over from ESPN to ABC to watch the Orange Bowl. Instead of watching a zillion commercials and the national-anthem I was treated to Norman Chad hosting a 30-minute 'preview' type show where they go 'behind the scenes' at the making of "Tilt".

I think most of us agree that the commercials and trailers they have been running for this show make it look REALLY stupid.
So I believe I will really be stretching everyone's beliefs when I tell you that the 30-minute preview show actually makes it look even STUPIDER.

I'm not kidding....From the commercials I was guessing that I would rate this show around a 4 on 1-10 scale (there are, afterall, MANY MANY stupid things on TV).
From the preview-episode I am now guessing that this show will rate more like a 2 and I'm not even certain I will be interested in watching it anymore after a couple of episodes because I have a suspicion it will be just too annoying (beyond a Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten level of annoying).

I do hope they prove me wrong though.

My favorite parts of the preview episode were the discussions with the actors where they talk about how little they know about how to play cards but they have been studying and learning and know how to 'act like a REAL poker-player'.
you also get to see that diving head-first tackle across the table a few times.
And Daniel Negreneau (and TJ Cloutier) makes a cameo. THE MATADOR invites Daniel into their game, and Daniel says he thinks he can find a better game somewhere else. They're all afraid to play against THE MATADOR apparently.

Since there is speculation that THE MATADOR is a cheater I guess this is potentially warranted.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Making of \"Tilt\"

Even if the show is bad, it can be good for poker. Its great that they keep showing that clip in the commercial with the "Have you even looked at your cards? -- No, but I saw your face when you looked at yours." line as it will bring more and more fish into the games. Anything that brings more dead money into my games is fine by me.

It'd be nice if it was watchable for more serious players but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:15 PM

I watched about the first 10 min or so of that special last night. The thing is, the concept isn't bad, and I think the story itself could work rather well if done right. But it seems they went so over-the-top corny with the dialogue and acting, that the execution of it just looks terrible.

That being said, I think non poker-playing people who have been casually watching the WPT will probably think it's great. And that's good for the game I think.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 PM

ESPN's finally put up their website to tilt over at Tilt website from the looks of it, it doesn't put poker in the most positive light.

Kevin...
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Brass Rat on TILT?

On the TILT website, Characters section, Miami link. Pretty sure that's a Brass Rat around her neck. Phear my observation skillz.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:10 PM

I just flipped through the 'character' section and laughed. It is so corny, I can't imagine myself even tuning in one time to see this train wreck.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote from that website about the character Eddie:

"Handsome, charming, and intuitive...it's easy to see why Eddie is one of the most gifted young poker players in Vegas."

LOL...way to go ESPN
Old 01-05-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Brass Rat on TILT?

I just threw up in my mouth reading that site.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:22 PM

All I know is that if I watch it and the matador doesn't say "Olé!!" I will be sorely disapointed.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote from that website about the character Eddie:

"Handsome, charming, and intuitive...it's easy to see why Eddie is one of the most gifted young poker players in Vegas."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, so am I. And I can tell you it sure helps when playing against ugly, rude and dim players [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]