Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: dear God when will it end?

The tip jars on the counters at Starbucks aren't there to tempt those of you who normally don't tip to tip. They're there because a good number of regular customers like to tip. Its become such a part of their everyday routine, that they just tip the dollar no matter what. Now, if you wanna look at the tip jar, and be like, LOL not in a million years, that's up to you. But if you think, for a second, that any of us that work at Starbucks are gonna give up free money - especially this time of year - you've gotta be outta your goddamn mind.

Customers aren't expected to tip. Sure, the baristas would like you to tip, but Starbucks doesn't pay horribly for the kind of work we do, so its not like we're struggling for our tips. Tips are beer money. Tips are - hey, you're cute, here's a buck. Or, hey, you're always polite, make conversation with me, and make me feel like Im not just another customer... here's $.50 everyday. If you went to the same McDonalds everyday for a month, do you think Miguel would go to the trouble of chatting with you, getting your name, knowing what you liked to eat... even having it ready before you were done paying?

People tip at Starbucks because Starbucks generally takes care of its regular customers. I've even had people aghast that our credit card reciepts didnt have a line for them to tip on.

Not putting out that cup is akin to saying no to an extra $1.50/hr (or more, depending on the location of the store) per person in every store. Why should the employees turn that down because some people want to look down on it?

yasher
Old 12-23-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do we stand on tipping caterers?

A) If you hired them?
B) If you're a guest, but the waiter goes out of his way to serve you?

Just curious,
Fink

[/ QUOTE ]
The same way all tipping should be handled: it's completely up to you. There are no right or wrong occupations or serivces to tip. If you appreciate something they're doing for you to the point where you want to show them monetarily above their normal pay, then tip them.

I have a busted back window on my auto due to a break in and had to call in and schedule for it to be done today at a shop in conjunction with the insurance. I absolutely have to have it done by tomorrow morning and because of something with the glue that needs to sit for several hours, I had to call around to four different places before I found a guy who reluctantly agreed to help me out instead of closing up shop early for the Christmas weekend as he had planned. I plan on tipping him well, which isn't the "correct" play for this industry, but who cares?

"We"? Screw society's rules; it's your money to tip, not theirs. Tipping "rules" are dumb. Tip for things YOU care about, and tip generously for those things.

GoT
Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should the employees turn that down because some people want to look down on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already explained why, but really instead of turning it down, they should never beg for it in the first place. This argument is clearly a waste of time. There are some people here that view being polite and providing adequately-speedy service at the counter as simply the way counter-service should be conducted. Evidently there are some that don't feel that way and feel that they should pay extra for not having to stand at your counter for an inordinate amount of time. As I've said, in my view putting your little tin can out at a counter is akin to begging on a street corner. Why should you turn it down? I guess you shouldn't if you're not averse to begging for a living.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 PM

On of my cute female friends works at an independent starbucks-type coffee shop. She says she can make up to 40 bucks in tips per night on top of her wages.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why should the employees turn that down because some people want to look down on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already explained why, but really instead of turning it down, they should never beg for it in the first place. This argument is clearly a waste of time. There are some people here that view being polite and providing adequately-speedy service at the counter as simply the way counter-service should be conducted. Evidently there are some that don't feel that way and feel that they should pay extra for not having to stand at your counter for an inordinate amount of time. As I've said, in my view putting your little tin can out at a counter is akin to begging on a street corner. Why should you turn it down? I guess you shouldn't if you're not averse to begging for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try thinking a little more objectively. You see what they do as their job and their responsibility to you. That's fine and you should in no way feel the need to tip a barrista. However, to some people coffee may be one of their biggest joys in life and picking up their drink might be one of the best times of their everyday routine. They love the experience so much they really want to tip for it. If there is even one of these people coming in, it's not just okay for the emplyees to leave a tip cup out, it would be stupid not to. Like I said earlier, I don't typically tip for coffee 'cause I don't care that much, but I'm able to think outside myself enough to understand how other people may. Just because you don't care and personally would never find this service tip-worthy does not mean nobody else does. Having the cup out does not necessarily equal begging or intrusive or entitlement or whatever.

GoT
Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 PM

Gunny,

You keep talking in circles. You say they shouldnt beg for it. I say they're not, people want to give it. You say, hey, they shouldnt beg for it. If you don't want to tip, no one's saying you have to tip a barista. Or a bartender. Or even a waitress - though, that would make you an ass.

But if you were working a $7/hr job, I don't think you'd be looking down on an extra 20%, simply by putting a cup on a counter. Maybe you would. Maybe your morals are just that strong, and your view of it as begging is just that solid. At least you're consistent.

But I don't think you'd turn it down. Its easy to look down on it, and call it begging, from afar. I don't even think twice about it, and neither do 95% of our customers. The rest - like you - probably don't go to Starbucks enough to matter. Who wants $5 coffee anyway, right?

yasher
Old 12-23-2005, 04:28 PM

No. You're the one talking in circles. When a bum puts a tin can out, is he begging?

A waiter or bertender doesn't have to put out a tip cup because tipping is a normal part of his job and people know that and will tip him because it's appropriate to do so. Tipping counter help is not normal so they have to beg people to do it by sticking a little cup on the counter.

By the way, I have no idea what a barista is.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:28 PM

I wonder if you conducted a survey, how many people tip for the sheer enjoyment of tipping -vs- the pressure they felt to tip.

Personally, I think it's silly to see tip jars at starbucks & subway. Using GoT's logic, perhaps they should put a tip jar in the crapper since my morning dump is one of the more enjoyable parts of my day.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a bum puts a tin can out, is he begging?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

When a street musician opens his guitar case, is he begging?

[ QUOTE ]
A waiter or bertender doesn't have to put out a tip cup because tipping is a normal part of his job and people know that and will tip him because it's appropriate to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think it began as part of the job? You tip bartenders so they give you better/stronger drinks - or, so they don't give you crappy drinks - depending on where you are. You tip waitresses because society has deemed it okay to pay them horrible wages, because, hey, people tip now. So, now you're falling back onto a very basic and inane premise. Society says I should tip X, so I tip X, but it says I shouldn't tip Y, so I don't tip Y. As has been said many, many times before, you should tip whom you want to tip - not whom society tells you to tip. Is that so difficult to grasp? If you're tipping a waitress because society says so, and not because you want to, you're much more of an idiot than I ever made you for. I'll be honest - I tip my change at places because I don't like to carry it around, and I tip an extra dollar to counter help if they're nice, polite, decent people. Because nice, polite, decent is not the standard in the industry. Its above and beyond.

[ QUOTE ]
Tipping counter help is not normal so they have to beg people to do it by sticking a little cup on the counter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tipping counter help is becoming more and more normal, my shortsighted friend. How is not a "normal" thing if you see the tip cups at more places than you don't see em? Burger King, McDonalds, and the like - I believe - have rules preventing those tip jars. Starbucks doesn't, and even encourages it. The tip jars are the stores I've worked in - and 90% of the stores I've been in - are very bland, small, plastic, unmarked things. They strike me as being the least intimidating, most unobtrusive way to encourage tipping. If you equate "encouraging" tipping with begging, then I don't know where else this conversation can go. I don't really like the huge, in your face, HEY TIP ME jars with big signs that say TIPS on them. But that's bias.

Oh, the barista is the dude behind the counter making your drink, exactly the way you want it, everytime you order it.

I think GoT hit the nail squarely on the head.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you don't care and personally would never find this service tip-worthy does not mean nobody else does. Having the cup out does not necessarily equal begging or intrusive or entitlement or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I want to deny people the ability to tip me? Even if it means slightly suggesting it? There's certainly a line that's drawn... I don't ever suggest people tip, I don't expect tips, and I don't find ways to nudge the tip jar or whatever... that's just debasing yourself. But the act of putting the tip jar on the counter doesn't constitute begging, in my world. The choice to not put it out is a choice that cuts my coworkers salaries by 20%. Easy choice.

yasher
Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 PM

My first job in HS was at tacobell. I got one tip in 6 months and I had no idea if I was even allowed to accept it.